hi ,
can anyone tell how to define AND operator by regular expression.

Actually I want to return match if and only if 2 substrings will appear in string.

For example i have string "Successful Logon: User Name: Administrator Domain: Logon ID: (0x0,0x154CB759) Logon Type:2 Logon Process: Advapi Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0 Workstation Name: LC2KEDS1"

and match should be return only for Administrator and Logon Type:2 if anyone of this found match should not return
it only return when both will be there

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Yeah that's pretty simple, you could just use string find twice.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main()
{
    std::string t = "Administrator blah blah logon:2 blah blah";

int matchOne = t.find("Administrator");
    int matchTwo = t.find("logon:2");

//std::cout << matchOne << std::endl;
    //std::cout << matchTwo;

if (( matchOne >= 0 ) && ( matchTwo >= 0 ))
    {
      std::cout<<"Found";
    }

std::cin.get();
}
Member Avatar for jencas

Something like:

^.*Administrator.*Logon Type:2.*$

should do the job.

Something like:

^.*Administrator.*Logon Type:2.*$

should do the job.

this expression selects all words between administrator and Logon Type:2

Regex doesn't exist in c++.

Unless you're using boost libraries or C++/cli/.net, you already have a solution post #2. There is no need to use regex here. If you need to use it, please give us a reason why.

Regex doesn't exist in c++.

Unless you're using boost libraries or C++/cli/.net, you already have a solution post #2. There is no need to use regex here. If you need to use it, please give us a reason why.

I am using PCRE library for using regular expression in c++ application.
second solution is fine but doing 2 findings and finally apply && operator in if condition will increase overhead.

I want this as a single regular expression and after APIs of PCRE library will do the stuff. PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expressions) is an open source library written in C that allows developers to add regular expression support in c/c++ application

You still haven't answered why post #2 isn't an adequate solution though. Using regex is far more expensive in terms of overhead so your argument is BS.

You still haven't answered why post #2 isn't an adequate solution though.

second solution is fine but doing 2 findings and finally apply && operator in if condition will increase overhead.

Member Avatar for jencas

There is no need to use regex here. If you need to use it, please give us a reason why.

Reread the article of the TO carefully.

commented: yes will do +21

That's a well-known identity:

A and B <=> not (not A or not B)

As far as I know there are not and or operators in all versions of regular expressions...

Remark on post#2: string::find returns unsigned value. It's a bad practice to assign it to int variables then test if it's less than 0 (see std::basic_string::npos constant value)...
None the less it looks like the fastest solution in C++ ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.