Hi, I'm looking for an open source c++ compiler to embed into an ide project I'm working on. I'm using Visual C++ express 2008 and would like to know what you's recommend as I have heard of gcc and MinGW but don't know what is best and EASIEST as they can be so hard to understand.

Member Avatar for jencas

You are comparing apples and oranges. Visual C++ Express 2008 is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and that's way more than a compiler as gcc is. Stay with VC++E2k8 as it is the most comfortable development environment for C++ in my opinion. For Java development I recommend Eclipse.

He said he want a open source compiler.
First of all, Congratulations for choosing Open Source.
G++ is accepted as the most widely used open source compiler. You can use it on M$ Windows too.
MinGW is just a port of G++ for M$ windows. Both are nearly same thing.
You can use CodeBlocks as your IDE. Codeblocks is also free and it support g++/MinGW.
I have listed few of the compilers for M$ windows here :http://siddhant3s.googlepages.com/how_to_tell_rusted_cpp.html#SECTION00041000000000000000

<noflame> MSVC++ is not a open source compiler. It is not a free compiler. It is a compiler which comes at zero cost. There is no reason that VC++ is more compiler than what gcc is. G++ is the standard compiler for most of the Linux platform. There are far more developers using g++. It is more free than MSVC++ is and every would be. Moreover MSVC++ is not available on any other platform else MS Windows. :( . So keep your "more a compiler than gcc" remark with you when you have not used/ or used g++ even once.
</noflame>

You are comparing apples and oranges. Visual C++ Express 2008 is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and that's way more than a compiler as gcc is. Stay with VC++E2k8 as it is the most comfortable development environment for C++ in my opinion. For Java development I recommend Eclipse.

Well I'm not exactly comparing anything but to make it clearer, I am trying to modify a compiler to compile my own type of applications. And the overall project is being done is Visual c++ Express 2008. So I hope that makes more sense and download links with 1 or 2 tutorials on compiling would be good.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.