I am working on a class assignment that doesn't meet for a few more days. The assignment is to open a text file, and parse the file one word at a time, reading each word into one of 26 arrays based on the first letter of the word. I can open the text file just fine and have read it into a variable called textfile.

Next, I just need to figure out how to parse one word at a time. I found something similar here: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread254299.html but that seems to automatically put every word into one array. I guess from there I could re-iterate the array and move each word to the correct array.

But what I am really curious about, is how do you read one word at a time from a text file?

For the assignment we can't use templates or OOP.

What is the layout of the file? Do you care about periods and commas?

For the assignment we can't use templates or OOP

Is that a roundabout way of saying you can't use std::string?

What approaches have you tried so far?

I am working on a class assignment that doesn't meet for a few more days. The assignment is to open a text file, and parse the file one word at a time, reading each word into one of 26 arrays based on the first letter of the word. I can open the text file just fine and have read it into a variable called textfile.

Next, I just need to figure out how to parse one word at a time. I found something similar here: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread254299.html but that seems to automatically put every word into one array. I guess from there I could re-iterate the array and move each word to the correct array.

But what I am really curious about, is how do you read one word at a time from a text file?

For the assignment we can't use templates or OOP.

just as example this could work :

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <assert.h>
#include <string.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    const int max_rows = 26;
    const int max_cols = 256;

string wordslist[max_rows][max_cols];

// ugly init;
    for(int x=0; x<max_rows; x++)
    {
        for(int y=0; y<max_cols; y++)
        {
            wordslist[x][y] = " ";
        }
    }

ifstream input("words.dat");

// check it!
    if(!input.is_open())
    {
        cout << "error opening the words file";
        return EXIT_FAILURE;
    }

// read the file
    string word;
    while(input >> word)
    {
        char c = word[0];
        if (isupper(c))
            c=tolower(c);

int pos = c - 'a';

int i = 0;
        do
        {
            string arrayword = wordslist[pos][i];

if(arrayword == " ")
                break;

i++;
        }
        while(i<256);

// check for no room
        assert(i!=256);

// store it!
        wordslist[pos][i] = word;

cout << "x:" << pos << " y:" << i << " " << word << endl;
    }

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.