Dear all,

I am currently working on a mini-application using Visual C++, and it goes pretty much like this:

The program, using mousehook, will retrieve the coordinates of the current mouse position using getcursorpos when a right click is executed, and it will return with a red dot on the retrieved coordinates.

Currently, I am done with the mousehook and the getcursorpos part, which I've set for it to return a messagebox showing the coordinates of the mouse when I execute a right click (will be changed to left click after this, keeping it as right click at the moment as it's less annoying). However, I am stumped with ideas for the showing the red dot on the retrieved coordinates part. This program is not meant to be ran in a frame, but on windows in a global manner, which means the red dot will show on a desktop, or on any other application.

Is there any advises from the professionals around here? And if you guys want me to upload a copy of my code, I'd be glad to do so. =) But it won't look elegant, as I never had any prior knowledge in C++ programming at all before this, and hell.. I believe programming is my weakest area. >_<

Thanks in advanced!

PS: Do let me know if I've forgotten anything or what not. Relatively new on the boards around here. Thanks!

Post some code, no matter how 'unelegant' it is.

What tkud already said ^^ and also if you can describe what's the purpose of this program and the red dot, then people might come up with suggestions.

#define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0501
#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>

HHOOK MouseHook;

LRESULT CALLBACK MouseHookProc(int nCode, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){

PKBDLLHOOKSTRUCT k = (PKBDLLHOOKSTRUCT)(lParam);

if(wParam == WM_RBUTTONDOWN)	//specifies right click. Use WM_LBUTTONDOWN for left click
        {

POINT cursorPos;
	GetCursorPos(&cursorPos);
        float x = 0;
        x = cursorPos.x;
        float y = 0;
        y = cursorPos.y;

char msg[50];

sprintf(msg, "x: %.2f\n" "y : %.2f\n", x, y);

MessageBox(0, msg, "Mouse Position", 0);

//dot indicator section should go here

}
        return CallNextHookEx(NULL,nCode,wParam,lParam);
 }

void StayAlive(){
        MSG message;
        while(GetMessage(&message,NULL,0,0)){
                TranslateMessage(&message);
                DispatchMessage(&message);
        }
}

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
        LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd){
        FreeConsole();

MouseHook = SetWindowsHookEx(WH_MOUSE_LL,MouseHookProc,hInstance,0);
        StayAlive();

UnhookWindowsHookEx(MouseHook);
        return 0;
}

This is the whole block of code for the application itself.

Basically, the red dot is suppose to just show where a person had clicked. It's actually for a current research which is still ongoing, so I'd better refrain from giving out too much information. But regardless, everytime someone executes a click, a red dot should appear on the place the person clicked, in a global manner.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.