Hey everyone,

I am writing a Java program and I want to present the user with a settings window when they run a function in the main GUI so they can set the parameters which are used in the function.

Ideally what I would like to do in the main function (part of the main GUI JFrame) is;

• Create an instance of the settings window (JFrame or maybe JDialog?)
  • Display the settings window
  • WAIT for the user to input some values and press the OK button in the settings window
  • Retrieve the values from the settings window
  • Run the rest of the function

My problem is 'pausing' the main function until the OK button has been pressed. I can't figure out how this should be done? I suppose it is very similar to the operation of a message box or a JFileChooser.

Sorry if this is a bit basic/obvious, but I'm more of a scientist than a programmer. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Dan

What you are trying to do is very simple and explained in all basic GUI tutorials. Try to search some at the site of SUN

I have been the whole way through a couple of GUI tutorials and searched lots of others, but without having any idea what the function/operation might be called I'm struggling.

If someone could just tell me the name I'd be happy to look up how to use it.

I got the answer to this from someone else, so If anyone ever has the same problem the way to do it is with a JObjectPane. This can hold an object such as a JPanel and contains its own OK/cancel buttons which pauses the main program until one is selected.

There's a nice example here:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=54&threadID=5335602

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.