Hi,
Im having a problem displaying text in JTextPane. I want to be able to append text (e.g. "Task 1 completed..") after a task is completed. But mine display the text once all the tasks are completed which is quite useless as user does not know what is going on. I know this has something to do with thread n stuff.. but im not quite sure.. any help is greatly appreciated..

Cheers

It would help if you could post some of the source code your using. Can then maybe evaluate the logic a bit more.

here is the partial section of my code

styledDoc.insertString(styledDoc.getLength(), "Removing previous file..", highlight);
        removeData.deleteOldFile(fileDirectory);

styledDoc.insertString(styledDoc.getLength(), "\n", defaultformat);

styledDoc.insertString(styledDoc.getLength(), "Time taken: "+(System.currentTimeMillis()-startTime)+" miliseconds.", medium);

Basically I want to append text message to my JTextPane object every time a task is completed. But all messages got displayed after the last task is executed. I want after task A is completed, then append "Task A is completed.." then do task B, prints "Task B is completed"... and so on.. I explicitly put the code in sequence as you can see from the attached code here... I read somewhere about this problem. To solve one need to use Thread. But im not sure how..

Hm you could try the following

String text;
text = textPane.getText();
text += "\nAppended text."
textPane.setText(text);

But i think that there is a better way to do it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.