Member Avatar for tawes01

I have a dialog-based application that just has a big edit box. I want to make a quotation mark bold right when it is typed. How can this be done? I am using dev-c++ 4.9.9.2 (I don't know how to make single characters bold, let alone how to capture the key pressed)

Customizing the edit control can get pretty complicated. Here's one thread on that topic. Here are a few others.

What exactly does "subclass edit control" mean?
And plus, I have already googled to try to figure this out. All I found was Visual C++ crap and miscelaneous crap.

subclassing is a little bit like deriving another class from a base class. Assume you have a class named Animal and you want to make a class called Cat. In terms of MS-Windows controls that would be called subclassing and is done in C, not C++ (although you can use it in your c++ program as long as you use standard C syntax.)

So how would that be useful in my program?

If you want to customize drawing of the edit control then you will have to cusclass it. I already gave you a link to one way of doing that. You can find other ones on www.codeproject.com, which has the largest repository of MS-Windows code on the internet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.