Hello there,

I am trying to create an application which will open once the associated file type is clicked. I have associated my application with the extension .agl, via Visual Studio. When I publish the application and install it, the file is associated properly with my application and when I double click an .agl file my application starts. However, the file that opened the application, is not passed as a command line argument and so I can't load it!

Does anyone have any idea why the opening file is not passed as a command line argument? Note that I am using Environment.GetCommandLineArgs() to get the arguments.

Thank you

What is coming back from Environment.GetCommandLineArgs() when the program runs?

The method returns only the first argument which is the path of the application.

>The method returns only the first argument which is the path of the application.

Of course the first argument will be a path and next will be a name of asso file. Please show us signature of Main() method.

>The method returns only the first argument which is the path of the application.

Of course the first argument will be a path and next will be a name of asso file. Please show us signature of Main() method.

What I am trying to say, is that the method returns only the path of the application and not the name of the associated file. The application is a WPF application and I can't find the Main() method.

>The application is a WPF application and I can't find the Main() method.

No problem!

string[] args = Environment.GetCommandLineArgs();
   string datafile=""
   if(args.Length==2)
        datafile=args[1];

>The application is a WPF application and I can't find the Main() method.

No problem!

string[] args = Environment.GetCommandLineArgs();
   string datafile=""
   if(args.Length==2)
        datafile=args[1];

This is what I am doing. The problem is that the returned string contains only the name of the application and not the path of the associated file opened. I think this has something to do with how I created the associations, and not with the code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.