This is giving me a segmentation fault in the noBucket() function. I don't see why. Does it having something to do with it being a const function? My other accessor functions
are working fine and they are declared exactly the same with just a different name. The files are longer than this I just pasted the relevant code(from what I could tell).

class Bucket
{
   unsigned short _noBucket;
public:
   unsigned short noBucket() const {return _noBucket;}
};

class Hashtable
{
  Bucket _buckets[30];
public:
  void printReport(ostream& o) {o << "Bucket Number: " << _buckets[i].noBucket() << '\n';}
};

Who knows? You certainly have not pasted all the relevant code, because you haven't told us what the value of the variable "i" is or what the noBucket function does.

I will say that your use of "i" makes me suspicious, because it's not a variable in your class. By implication, it's probably a global variable--what else could it be--and any program with a global variable named "i" is cause for suspicion all by itself.

okay here is the full implementation of printReport. I changed the parameters.
GDB says the fault occurs in the noBucket() function when it returns to this function.
noBucket() is simply an accessor for the private member _noBucket which is bucket number.
And this is crashing on the second bucket it reads, so its not out of bounds error. i is within bounds.

void Hashtable::printReport(ostream& o, unsigned short boa)
{
	slot s;
	o << "Hash Table\nVerification Report\n" ;
	if(boa==1)
		o << "Before Restoration\n";
	else
		o << "After Restoration\n\n";
	for(int i = 0; i < 30; ++i)
	{
		o << "Bucket Number: " << _buckets[i].noBucket() << '\n';
		for (int j = 0; j < 3; ++j)
		{
			s = _buckets[i].getSlot(j);
			o << "     Slot Number: " << j << " Key: " << s.Key << " Data: " << s.Data << '\n';
		}
		o << "     Overflow Pointer: " << _buckets[i].getOverflow()->noBucket();
	}
}

as soon as I laid down to sleep I realized what the problem was.....am I the only one? lol...My first bucket doesn't have an overflow pointer because it's not full so it's a null pointer. I was also setting breakpoints in my main and thought I was setting them in my class file which was adding confusion. problem self resolved

class Bucket
{
   unsigned short_noBucket;
   Bucket *_overflow;
public:

//Returns pointer to bucket overflow.
   const Bucket* getOverflow() const
   {
	return _overflow;
   }  
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.