Hello guyz,

First of all, sorry for starting new thread with similar topic but I read each and still can't figure out how to do it.

I'm having a database, using GridView I retrieve the data into my WEB application.
Then I set the rows to editable (not sure if it is fully completed) and when I edit some cells I want to update the GridView AND the database behind.
When I click on 'edit' then the button is changed to update - great but I get some unhandled exception. I don't expect anything else to happen since I didn't put any code in the update methods like RowCommand, RowUpdating, RowUpdated, RowDataBound. I'm really confused what goes there and what exactly do I need.

I'm using C# with Microsoft Visual Studio and MySQL database.

Please help if you can
Would be grateful.

Thanks

Can you post your GridView Control Structure and the code you are using to bind the Grid?

Hey,
I jsut got it working today. It suddenly updated the gridview AND the database without giving me some exceptions and syntax errors as before.
But here it is anyway :)

<asp:Content ID="HeaderContent" runat="server" ContentPlaceHolderID="HeadContent">
</asp:Content>
<asp:Content ID="BodyContent" runat="server" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent">
    <h2>
        Table view</h2>
    <p>
        <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1">
            <Columns>
                <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />
            </Columns>
        </asp:GridView>
        <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" 
            ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:dbcssConnectionString %>" 

ProviderName="<%$ ConnectionStrings:dbcssConnectionString.ProviderName %>" 
            SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM tableview" 
            UpdateCommand="UPDATE tableview SET Pad_No = @pad_no, Lift1 = @lift1, Lift2 = @lift2, Lift3 = @lift3, Task4 = @task4, Task5 = @task5, Task6 = @task6, Task7 = @task7, Task8 = @task8 WHERE row_No = @row_no">

<UpdateParameters>
                <asp:Parameter Name="Pad_No" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Lift1" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Lift2" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Lift3" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task4" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task5" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task6" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task7" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="Task8" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="row_No" Type="Int32" />
            </UpdateParameters>
        </asp:SqlDataSource>
    </p>
        </asp:Content>

And then I have on line of code in the Default.aspx.cs file:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (!IsPostBack)
            {
               //not working without that one ?
            }
        }

No methods like RowUpdating, RowUpdated, RowEditing etc, etc.
Isn't that strange though ?

Very good!!!!, and yes when using SqlDataSource procedure such as update, select, delete, sort and paging is really easy to do, but you have less control over the GridView.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.