Okay,

So I have an application which uses MSSQL server as datasource.
Is there anyways I can avoid using any database server and use a local file as datasource ?

If yes , what are options.

AND HOW ?

PS: this is very important guys. please help.

THANK YOU.

You could use an Access database or an Excel spreadsheet. There are connection strings available for both of these. Even CSV files as I recall.

commented: experienced..! +2

access seems to be a solution for this. Thanks Jim.

I have one more question.

I have seen "attachdbfile= xxx" parameter in a connection string when I was using MSSQL server.

what does it exactly do ?

It specifies the actual filename of the SQL database. I have never used this parameter. I specify the server name and database name and let SQL server figure out where the file is stored.

I was a SQL db Administrator (among many other rthings) before I retired, and there were a couple of times when I had to move our database files from one disk to another. Any applications that used the attachdb parameter to connect would have failed. None of them did. I can't think of any reason you would want to use it either.

Ohh that makes sense.!

I had a totally wrong assumption.

Thanks Jim.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.