Member Avatar for talat.zaitoun

I'm new to python so any help would be appreciated, here is a code i've been working on for calculating gpa, I have to calculate gpa of an inputed number of courses by a user (could be 2-infinte number of courses); btw this is not the whole function but only the part i'm having trouble with, the other part (not shown here) is for g (gradepoint) which changes for example A to 4 but I know how to do it. The inputed number of courses have to be included in a string, for ex;
Enter number of courses:
Enter course 1's mark(in letters like A+):
Enter course 1's weight:
Enter course 2's mark:
Enter course 6's mark:
Thank you, btw we are not allowed to use lists, dictionaries, or anything that might be advanced

Code starts here
numbercourses = float(input("Enter number of courses: "))

def calculate_gpa(numbercourses):
    coursenumber = 1

while numbercourses > 0:
        coursenumber = coursenumber + 1 
        numbercourses = numbercourses - 1
        g = float(input("Enter grade course No. ", coursenumber)) 
        weight = float(input("Enter  weight course No. ", coursenumber)) 
    gpa = gpa + round((conversion(g)/weight),2) 
    return
    print ("Your GPA is", gpa)  

Your usage says it takes grades and weights in order, your snippet would do something completely different, if we fix the indention problem first.

I'm also a Python-starter. Question to the OP: What is the purpose of following function?

coursenumber = 1

It returns nothing; None I guess.
It does nothing with the parameter numbercourses.
It sets a variable(global?) coursenumber to 1.

'm also a Python-starter. Question to the OP: What is the purpose of following function?

coursenumber = 1

It returns nothing; None I guess.
It does nothing with the parameter numbercourses.
It sets a variable(global?) coursenumber to 1.

Yes it returns None. If a function does not have a return value, then it returns None.

It does not set the coursenumber global variable. It defines a new one in the function. Global variable can only be set by issuing a global statement.

commented: Starters can always use some good explanation!Thanks. +14
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.