Dear gurus and members,
I am a newbie in VB and programming. I have created an exe that allows to record, play and save user's speech onto his computer. The file is saved as wav. I wonder is it possible to convert the files to mp3 format when user clicks on Save button? I use VB6 to create the MCI and currently stucked in the convertion of wav to mp3. The following is the code of my Save button

Private Sub cmdSave_Click(ByVal eventSender As System.Object, ByVal eventArgs As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdSave.Click

Dim sName As String
        counter = counter + 1
        sName = "Test" & counter

WaveSaveAs((VB6.GetPath & "\" & sName & ".wav"))
        cmdRecord.Enabled = True
        cmdStop.Enabled = True
        cmdPlay.Enabled = True
        cmdSave.Enabled = False
        cmdReset.Enabled = False
        Exit Sub

End Sub

I would be very glad if someone could share the knowledge and expertise in this area with me. Looking forward to some replies soon.

Thanks in advance,
Janice

The short answer is "You can't". It *is* possible, but the MP3 format is proprietary, so if you created an MP3 you could be facing a lawsuit. There are plugins and libraries that offer MP3 export functions, but you'll probably pay quite a bit for them, since they also had to pay for a license to use the MP3 format.

I can't help you with this either, but you might consider OGG (Ogg Vorbis) format. It's a smaller file, and slightly better quality than MP3. Plus it's OGL, so it's free.

Try this link http://www.vbcodesource.com/downloads/encoderex.zip

Hi there,
I downloaded and i tried to run that but i got this message("File not found"MEncoder.dll) then i tried to register that :Regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\MEncoder.dll") but got this message"
Loadlibrary(c:\windows\system32\MEncoder.dll)failed-The specified module could not be found
I am using windows xp but i tried on windows2000 advanced server and it was the same problem.Could you please help me ?

thanks,

Dennis

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.