I am having problems with a data entry issue i have a field in my database which is called headline it is set to varchar 255 when i insert for example something with for eample.

The 'dogs' are very big.

the code is sent by normal $headline=$_POST["headline"]; then inserted to the database normally but what is saved keeps coming out as

The ???dogs??? are very big/

why is this why is it changing '' to ??? ???

??? Any ideas on how i can fix this issue?

You need to escape the single quotes.

You need to escape the single quotes.

???

It is because you cannot directly use quotes and some other symbols in a mysql query. To solve this you need to escape them like previously mentioned. I am guessing you would like an example so below is one:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO `table` SET `column`='".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["headline"])."'");

Hope the visual helps.

I'm having issues as well; I have a database jokes and am trying to insert into it (the ID is auto incrementing) this is what I have, as you can see I'm trying to insert a value from a form.

$joketext = $_POST['joketext'
if ("SUBMIT" == $_POST['submitjoke']) {
  $sql = "INSERT INTO Jokes VALUES ($joketext, CURDATE())";
  if (mysql_query($sql)) {
    echo("<P>Your joke has been added.</P>");
  } else {
    echo("<P>Error adding submitted joke: " .
         mysql_error() . "</P>");
  }
}

It comes back with the error Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.