Hi.. gud day.. i'm a beginner in php programming, i just started today and i want to ask a question about the use of the "isset()" function. the code in the .php file comes like this:

<?php
	if(isset($_POST["RegisterButton"])) 
	{
		mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die (mysql_error());
		echo "Connected to mysql";
		mysql_select_db("myDatabase") or die (mysql_error());
		echo "Connected to Database";
	}
?>

and here is the .html file:

<html>
<head>
<body>
<center><font size = "15">Registration Form</font></center><br>
	<font style = "Comic Sans MS">**Fill up the following**</font><br><br>
	<form action = "test1.php" method = "post">
	<table width = "80%" border = "0">
		<tr>
			<td width = "8%">First Name:</td><td width = "8%"><input type = "text" name = "fname" /></td>
			<td width = "8%">Last Name:</td><td width = "8%"><input type = "text" name = "lname" /></td>
			<td width = "8%">Middle Name:</td><td width = "8%"><input type = "text" name = "mname" /></td>
		</tr>

<tr>
			<td width = "8%">Age:</td><td width = "8%"><input type = "text" name = "age" /> </td>
			<td width = "8%">Address:</td><td width = "8%"><input type = "text" name = "address" /></td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td colspan = "2"><input type = "submit" value = "Register" name = "RegisterButton" /></td>
		</tr>
	</table>
	</form>
</body>
</html>

If i click the Register Button in the .html file, the line
-- echo "Connected to mysql" and
-- echo "Connnected to Database" won't be printed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Firstly, toss an echo at the top of your php file to make sure you're even touching that file. Based on your HTML file you may not, type = "submit" those spaces may or may not be killing the submit button.

wooaahh! that was quick.. i didn't know that, type = "submit" and type="submit" would be different, i thought it works just the same.

so what's the use of the isset() function again? :D

thanks anyway.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.