Hi, I am generating a table for use as a revision form. The following line:

printf("<td><input type='text' name='%s' onfocus='showDisplayName($v[1], $v[2]);' 
           		id='%s' value='%s'></input></td></tr>\n", strtolower($key), strtolower($key), $value);

has the php function showDisplayName() embedded in it. This function will not work. If I write the identical line in a pure HTML page it works fine.

Attachments: reviseTbl.png Generated output table
generatedHTML.png Generated code
ContactRevise.php Source code

Would appreciate any help in making the changes so it works.

Thanks in advance, RP

Strings in javascript need single quotes around them. Add \' before and after your variables.

If you mean:

...onfocus='showDisplayName(\'$v[1]\', \'$v[2]\');'
id='%s'...

it doesn't work. This is generated code:

...name="display_name" onfocus="showDisplayName(\" frank="" &="" doady\',="" \'paddon1009\');'="" id="display_name"...

Can you show me code please?

Thanks, RP

printf(
  '<td><input type="text" name="%s" onfocus="showDisplayName(\'%s\', \'%s\');" id="%s" value="%s"></input></td></tr>\n', 
  strtolower($key), $v[1], $v[2], strtolower($key), $value);

If there are quotes in $v they might be messing it up.

Thanks again,

After looking at the results of incorporating your change to my code I realize I am making a major logic error.

printf(
    '<td><input type="text" name="%s" onfocus="showDisplayName(\'%s\', \'%s\');" id="%s" value="%s"></input></td></tr>\n',
    strtolower($key), $v[1], $v[2], strtolower($key), $value);

in place of \'%s\', \'%s\' I need to put something like $(#last_name.val())+", "+$(#first_name.val()) which means I have to mingle jquery with PHP. What my original code does not do is insert the changed values of first_name and last_name to create display_name.

Is this possible??

RP

You are using jQuery. I would leave out the parameters for showDisplayName(), and just get them in that function. Is that what you mean ?

:):) SOLVED;

I have used this function in another application.
Can it somehow be called from within my PHP program? I just answered my own question.

I put the following function in printf() statements and it works just fine.

Thanks for your time in helping me.

RP,

<script type="text/javascript" >

function showDisplayName() {
     	       	var first = document.getElementById('fname');
    		var second = document.getElementById('lname');
    		 var third = document.getElementById('dname');
		third.value=second.value+", "+first.value;
	}

</script>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.