1,105,556 Community Members

*how Do I Burn A Downloaded Copy Of Windows Xp To A Cd?

Member Avatar
brc6523
Newbie Poster
1 post since Sep 2007
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Can Anyone Help Me W/this? My Hard Drive Got Erased From My Computer And I Need To Reinstall Windows Xp. The Only Downfall Is That The Only Backup Copy I Had Was Partitioned On The Hard Drive! And Hp Wont Send Me A Copy. What To Do? Thanks.

Member Avatar
Sturm
Veteran Poster
1,067 posts since Jan 2007
Reputation Points: 270 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 31 [?]

Just burn the Iso with some proprietary burning software http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-features.htm. If you want to pay money and don't want to take the obvious route you could use a linux live cd.

Member Avatar
jbennet
17,127 posts since Apr 2005
Reputation Points: 1,618 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 736 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 38 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

dont ask us about that. Software piracy is bad

Member Avatar
happygeek
veganarchist
9,515 posts since Mar 2006
Reputation Points: 1,411 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 452 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 166 [?]
Administrator
Featured

If you do not have a backup image, and the PC did not come with a Windows CD, then I am afraid it looks like you are stuffed to be honest.

As jbennet says, we can't offer advice on taking an illegal route so please do not ask for that. I suspect the only option is to dig into your pocket and pay for a new copy of XP, or Vista, or go down the Linux road...

Member Avatar
Sturm
Veteran Poster
1,067 posts since Jan 2007
Reputation Points: 270 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 31 [?]

Actually it could be legal...I mean I bought windows when I purchased my computer (Didn't come with a cd), so its legal to get a copy off piratebay right? Note: The computer I bought was a HP laptop so his claim is actually likely to be valid.

Member Avatar
ft3ssgeek
Junior Poster
124 posts since Mar 2007
Reputation Points: -1 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]

I have to say that I think I agree with sturm here...o/p already paid for the license when he purchased the computer, right? If the key is printed on a sticker on his laptop and he uses that product key, what's wrong with downloading another copy and using that product key?

Member Avatar
countryboyz
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Sep 2007
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

just make sure you get the right version. the key will either be

xp home oem
xp home retail
xp pro oem
xp pro retail
xp media ed. oem

i don't think there is a xp media ed. retail

anyways if you have a "xp home retail" key it won't work with a oem disk

as far a legal? you paid for a key code when you bought the computer......

well not going to comment its splitting hairs

Member Avatar
EnderX
Posting Shark
999 posts since Aug 2006
Reputation Points: 352 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 11 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 22 [?]

This is also assuming the key itself works. A while back, I purchased a new drive for a computer I was planning to give away; it took something like three months before I could retrieve it in working condition from the computer store, because, according to the store owner, the store manager, and at least one tech, the numbers printed on the sticker affixed to the case were invalid.

Member Avatar
Ancient Dragon
Achieved Level 70
27,632 posts since Aug 2005
Reputation Points: 5,232 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 3,037 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 115 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured
Sponsor

Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer,
such as a workstation, terminal or other device (“Workstation Computer”). The Product may not be used by
more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer

The way I read it is that you can install a single license of the operating system on only one computer at a time. If you want to install it on another computer you have to remove it from the first. But since I am not a lawyer I could be wrong. I have heard that Vista can only be installed on a single computer. If that computer breaks and you have to replace it then you have to buy another Vista license. If you violate that license agreement then you may not be able to get any updates, patches or service packs from Microsoft.

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

You also cant emulate the Home versions of vista (MS put that clause in so that perople are forced to use vista)

not be used by more than (2) processors

Does vista fail on quad core then? (it should see them as 4 logical CPUs)

Member Avatar
Ancient Dragon
Achieved Level 70
27,632 posts since Aug 2005
Reputation Points: 5,232 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 3,037 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 115 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured
Sponsor

Microsoft probably limits XP to 2 processors because they couldn't make it work with more. I heard about that several years ago that the os would crash often with 3 or more processors and barely works with 2.

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

its so they can get money from server licences. Xp could run it just fine

(i run my server with 4x pentium 3s on win2k server)

Member Avatar
thunderstorm98
Veteran Poster
1,116 posts since Nov 2006
Reputation Points: 74 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 30 [?]

And i Wonder here...why this thread not moved by Mod's to its appropriate Forum ? Or if its illegal arguments in this thread so why its not have been deleted yet ?

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

because we are debating if its actually ilegal or not. I flagged it which is why happygeek responded with #4

Member Avatar
wyerleader
Newbie Poster
14 posts since Sep 2007
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]

I have to agree with strum.If you had the cd it wouldnt matter how many times you formated your hard drive and reloaded your operating system would it? Then why can't you download a version ( checking the build ) probably sp2 build 2600 and load it with your valid key. you have to get validated threw windows to update and its not a pirated copy its getting back what you paid for.He would have to do like you said burn an image file with nero or the like.Or find a friend with the disk of the same build. Or am I way out of line here? Im new.

Member Avatar
wyerleader
Newbie Poster
14 posts since Sep 2007
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]

I have 10 bucks that says if he called microsoft and put the question to them like this." I have no cd and my hard drive got wiped but I have a valid key do you guys care where i get my version of windows to Reload my operating system" The answer would be NO.As a matter of fact I will do that tomorow and let you guys know.We will get it straight from the horses mouth.I aint scared!

Member Avatar
TheNNS
Nearly a Posting Virtuoso
1,455 posts since Jul 2006
Reputation Points: 112 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 19 [?]

>I have 10 bucks that says if he called microsoft and put the question to them like this." I have no cd and my hard drive got wiped but I have a valid key do you guys care where i get my version of windows to Reload my operating system" The answer would be NO.As a matter of fact I will do that tomorow and let you guys know.We will get it straight from the horses mouth.I aint scared!

whatever. It's illegal what he's trying to do. Pirate Bay is an illegal site, and do not try to rationalize or justify your actions. If it's illegal, then it's illegal. In this case, he would need a new xp license, but it's weird that hp won't send him a disc, usually hp's come with them. Anyways, he needs to buy a new license.

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

>I have 10 bucks that says if he called microsoft and put the question to them like this." I have no cd and my hard drive got wiped but I have a valid key do you guys care where i get my version of windows to Reload my operating system" The answer would be NO.As a matter of fact I will do that tomorow and let you guys know.We will get it straight from the horses mouth.I aint scared!

whatever. It's illegal what he's trying to do. Pirate Bay is an illegal site, and do not try to rationalize or justify your actions. If it's illegal, then it's illegal. In this case, he would need a new xp license, but it's weird that hp won't send him a disc, usually hp's come with them. Anyways, he needs to buy a new license.

They are doing as dell do. There is a recovery partition hidden on the hdd instead of a CD

and the reason they cant send him an XP disc is as MS are reluctant with them now due to vista

Member Avatar
jwenting
duckman
8,359 posts since Nov 2004
Reputation Points: 1,399 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 447 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 35 [?]
Infraction Points: 5
Team Colleague

Microsoft will send you (if it works with Windows as it does with some of their other products) replacement media at some cost (S&H) if you can prove you have a license.
In case of an OEM license though you may have to go through your hardware provider (if you have a branded OEM license certainly).

If Microsoft can't send them now that Vista is out that's because they may have run out, not because they don't want to (Microsoft guarantees support on products for a specified period after release of a replacement product).

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

if ita an OEM copy MS wont help you. The whole point with OEM is that MS offer no support

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article