For the past few hours today I haven't been able to login from the home page (where I usually do). But I found, by trying some different things, I can do a "Quote/Reply" within a thread and then when asked to login I can do it from there.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Also, going from one thread to another is sometimes veerrryy slow -- it wasn't like this before the new layout.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

There are definitely still some bugs and things to work out with the new layout. :) As far as not being able to login from the homepage, I believe that's related to me forgetting to set a form variable in the login form which tells the browser to set cookies :) It should be fixed now.

And as far as pages loading very slowly. I know we were experiencing some unusually high server load averages about an hour ago, which the hosting company is currently looking into. However, if the page is loading slow due to graphics, then that can always be tweaked :) I want to get some more feedback on the design first though ;)

Well, I can log in from the home page now, with both IE and Firefox :).

I'll let you know in a bit about the page loading.

Too soon to tell about the new layout; give me a couple of days for that ;)

Edit: Page loading seems to be back to normal, but I found another problem -- threads that are marked as 'Solved' don't say 'Solved' anymore.

digging the new look and feel dani..
..you're starting to deviate from mainstream java UI look..
my sence of normality has been twisted a bit but I think Ill make it..

Cain

can't log on

whats your user name?

does your browser allow cookies on your computer? I never (hardly) have to specifically log in -- I'm auto logged in every time I visit DaniWeb and have never had a login problem.

Same here. :)

> whats your user name?
The username and the display name is the same. :)

I thought he created a new account to tell us that he can't log into his old account..

I thought he had logged on to tell us he cannot log on.

hah :D Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see..

What this does highlight, of course, is the importance of supplying as much relevant detail as possible when asking a support question if we are going to stand any chance of answering it quickly and correctly.

Yes. It is quite annoying when people ask for help, but provide with little information.. If only they knew that the majority of tech problems are somehow caused by the inexperienced user :-/

What this does highlight, of course, is the importance of supplying as much relevant detail as possible when asking a support question if we are going to stand any chance of answering it quickly and correctly.

And also how responses by someone that can't help the poster just makes the thread long and useless. If you're not an admin, you obviously can't help the situation with or without the user name, so why bother asking. Only admins need to respond -- IMAO...

-- ducking now, so the volley goes over my head --

commented: I agree. If you can't use the information to help, don't ask. +10

And also how responses by someone that can't help the poster just makes the thread long and useless. If you're not an admin, you obviously can't help the situation with or without the user name, so why bother asking. Only admins need to respond -- IMAO...

-- ducking now, so the volley goes over my head --

I don't see how asking questions could hurt the thread. I was simply asking basic questions that probably would have been asked anyway. Obviously I couldn't help the guy, but I could help the admins help the guy.

Plus Walt has no reason to be angry with you, you always use code tags... :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.