Hi everyone!
My name is Rich and I am currently enrolled in a program at my local community college that will prepare me for the A+ cert, Net+ cert, and one other certification test. I am currently just a senior in high school (17 yrs old) and I am planning on going to college next year for CS. I was just wondering what some more experienced people in IT thought about my choice to pursue these certifications and maybe some insight about what to expect in a CS major.

Thanks,
Rich

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for nicentral

I started off on the same path as you. Actually, after 3 years in traditional University I dropped out to consult as a network architect. I eventually got some certs which took me places. However, I went back got my BS in CS and eventually a MS in CS. The certs got me some great real-world experience that truly helped me in finishing my two degrees.

I highly urge anyone that is in a traditional University to get some internships over the summers to find out what it's really like developing real-world solutions to real business problems.

Certs are a good thing, however, they should never replace what you can learn on the job.

Andy

The main reason that I chose to dive into this certification program was because the college I am most likely to attend offers a 5 year program with 3, 6 month paid co-ops. So I figured if I went into college with a few certs, I'd get placed in a better co-op job and get some real meaningful work while in college. It seems to me, after looking through some of these forums, that work experience can be just as, or more important than certifications or even a degree.

Rich

Hi everyone!
My name is Rich and I am currently enrolled in a program at my local community college that will prepare me for the A+ cert, Net+ cert, and one other certification test.

Are you taking classes that teach you about these certs?

Are you taking classes that teach you about these certs?

yes, that what the classes are

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.