Hello, I am a senior in highschool and i must make up my mind what i want to do in life, im leaning towards computers, or music, computers being the more financially sound I am interested in computer engineering. I have taken computer science for 2 years, but i did not like it. So now i am studying up on computer engineering, i havent found much information on it yet and i was just wondering what that title entails. I like to physically put things together and take them apart to see how it works, and im trying to find out about how the computer works with all its hardware and I hope this site can offer that, I am sure it can. Thanks alot. Maybe yall can suggest a site where it explains all the computer hardware in depth.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Computer engineering doesn't really deal much with computer hardware (i.e. motherboards, processors, etc.). It is more of a cross between electrical engineering and computer science. Be prepared for a lot of discrete math and digital circuitry. If you're an electronics freak, go for it :)

Well who are the guys who actually put the comp together? or at least design the insides and such, something that deals with putting the hardware together, that is for me.

electronic engineering deals a lot with hardware.. but more circuits, so its physical but not as I assume you want to
I'm pretty much sure that you won't like to study such a demanding major studying circuits and waves for then assembling computers as a living

If assembling is your passion then maybe try mechanical engineering. if you like to assembly stuff, if you like more physical oriented problem solving, this may be your major... I'm currently into software engineering but if I ever change I know mechanical is the one :cheesy:

Also, you can always continue to study robotics...lots of assembly (cic?) in there, machinery design, etc

check this out this site...
http://www.engineergirl.org/nae/cwe/egcars.nsf/Web+-+Career+Lookup/CGMH-4TN38B?opendocument

Christian

If you are more interested in how computers work, one of the first things you might try is studying for A+ Certification which will give you the basic knowledge of how computers go together and how they work - AND BEST OF ALL will give you a certification which may get you a job as a computer technician while you pursue further studies in this area.

The computer A+ certification is the industry standard for validating vendor-neutral skills expected of an entry-level computer technician. Those holding the A+ certification have a broad base of knowledge and competency in core hardware and operating system technologies including installation, configuration, diagnosing, preventive maintenance and basic networking.

My experience is that "technicians" sometimes can earn as much as engineers and most times know more (I can say this because I am a retired engineer).

If you are really into computers, you may then want to look at basically two different paths. The 1st would be Microsoft Certifications such as the MCSE. The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer is Microsoft’s premier credential for professionals who analyze the business requirements for a system architecture, design solutions, deploy, install, and configure architecture components, and troubleshoot system problems.

Opps!!! Posted that before I mentioned the second path. If you get interested in Networking and network design (which is very interesting and sometimes challenging), the you should consider the CISCO path of certifications. Some of them are the CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate), the CCDA (Cisco Certified Design Associate), the CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) and a few others.

If you want to be recognized in the computer fields, these Microsoft and Cisco certifications are your credentials. I'm not saying you shouldn't obtain a 4-year BS Degree, but since there really is not a degree in "computers", but there are degrees in related disciplines, you should choose a displine that best suits you such as electronics engineering, computer sciences, or some other related field, but in the meantime pursue one or more of these certifications.

How old do you have to be to be certified, and where would learn and train for these certifications?

You can "Google" any of them (Microsoft Certifications or Cisco Certifications) and get hundreds of hits. There are many commercial schools around who can provide training and in some cases, administer proctored exams (Yes - there are exams).

To start with, you should take a look at what each of these certifications is all about.

For the CISCO line, go to:

For the Microsoft line, go to:

If you have a local community college, they may have a course or two. I live in a small community in New Mexico with a community college which has courses to obtain the A+ certification. Your's may have one too!

There are a lot of books out there to let you "home study" for the A+ exam. As an example, see

Again, just do a google search on "A+ Certification" and you'll find hundreds of hits.

As for age limits, I think 18 is the magic number.

Both B.Sc Computer Science and B.Eng in Computer Engineering are the same.

Just that B.Eng in Computer Engineering study 2 year in Electrical Engineering and 2 year in Computer Science.

Both course are overlapping in most country.
Both course enable you to become Computer Engineer...

However, one of the best Computer Engineer i know, come from law background.

I think the computer engineer / IT person is a commonly confused career path.

All things considered, IT is better :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.