Hey guys, I am a graphic designer and web developer at work and sometimes I have to bring my work home with me or sometimes I like to start my own personal web projects.

I would like to have a Mac pro as my home computer, but I would also like to be able to run Visual Studio and the IIS web server on it. I hear this is not possible in the Mac OS environment? is it possible to run IIS and visual studio(or a mac alternative) on a windows partition and still be able to upload files to it from my Mac partition. Or how feasible would it be to buy a cheaper computer running windows and install IIS on it and have my MAC connect to it?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I dont know much about IIS but I know that on XP Pro you get IIS but it is limited to 5 connections at the same time. You could probably install XP pro as a partition on your mac and run an FTP server on the windows side. This should let them communicate with each other but I dont know.
Regards,
Sam Rudge

I dont know much about IIS but I know that on XP Pro you get IIS but it is limited to 5 connections at the same time. You could probably install XP pro as a partition on your mac and run an FTP server on the windows side. This should let them communicate with each other but I dont know.
Regards,
Sam Rudge

Now how to you expect to run xP in one partition and MAC in the other at the same time?? To get more than 5 connections on XP you need to buy XP Server with the number of connections you want. I don't know the current costs but a few years ago Microsoft charged something like $10,000.00USD for unlimited number of connections.

As for running IIS and VC on MAC -- forget it. Get another computer for that because MAC runs on top of linux.

I would like to have a Mac pro as my home computer, but I would also like to be able to run Visual Studio and the IIS web server on it. I hear this is not possible in the Mac OS environment?

You can't run them natively inside Mac OS X, however, there's several options. You can run it in a virtual environment, such as VMWare or Parallels. This will allow you to run Windows within the Mac environment without the need to reboot. The performance of Windows inside a virtual environment is affected, however. You can also install Windows onto a separate partition and dual-boot your machine.

is it possible to run IIS and visual studio(or a mac alternative) on a windows partition and still be able to upload files to it from my Mac partition.

HFS+ support isn't natively present in Windows. You can however get software such as MacDrive, which provides drivers that allow Windows to recognize HFS+ partitions and read/write to them.

To get more than 5 connections on XP you need to buy XP Server with the number of connections you want. I don't know the current costs but a few years ago Microsoft charged something like $10,000.00USD for unlimited number of connections.

If this is used purely for development purposes, more than five connections isn't needed anyway.

Get another computer for that because MAC runs on top of linux.

OS X actually runs on Darwin, which is derived from FreeBSD 5 and the Mach 3.0 kernel.

Sorry , I haven't been paying attention to this thread. I did end up buying a Mac Pro (AND IT IS NICE!) and a copy of Parrels. I think I will install XP on it someday and hopefully get IIS working. I will keep y'all updated on my progress.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.