It launched in a flurry of controversy over privacy issues, but within weeks of going live the 118800 mobile phone online directory service has been suspended. Although the official reason for the, so far, 3 day unavailability of the website is being given as "undertaking major developments" to the beta service, off the record reports suggest that the real reason could be the sheer number of people logging on to request that their own numbers are removed.

The holding page at 118800.co.uk currently reads:

"The 118 800 service for mobile phone connections is currently unavailable - from this website and by phone - whilst we undertake major developments to our 'Beta Service' to improve the experience for our customers. We'll be back as soon as possible with the new improved service. All ex-directory requests made by people in our directory to date are being processed. There will be no need to resend these requests. And we will take further ex-directory requests when the service resumes. We will not be taking ex-directory requests by phone or text whilst the service is not operational."

Despite being given the OK on privacy grounds by the Information Commissioner's Office in the UK, the 118800 has not been warmly welcomed by privacy campaigners and many individuals alike. Not least because it purchased something in the region of 16 million mobile phone numbers from market research firms and online businesses that require registration in return for services supplied. 118800 itself has always argued that there is nothing to fear, no invasion of privacy, as it does not reveal mobile numbers but rather connects callers directly for a fee. Well that's OK then. It also argues that it has not included mobiles registered to children, but of course as many (and quite possibly the large majority I would imagine) of such devices are purchased by parents for their kids such steps will not prevent children from getting unwanted and potentially worrying calls. There is also the argument that you have to agree to accept a call from 118800 before the caller will be connected. However, I really don't want to waste my time saying no to these people thanks very much. Connectivity, the company behind 118800, also insists that all the customer information it has was already in the public domain anyway. In which case, one wonders, why purchase it?

The bottom line is, as someone who has just torn up his mobile phone contract with Vodafone and moved to O2 partly due to unwanted marketing calls at stupid hours, that I do not want to be 'opted in' by 118800. My home number is ex-directory for a reason. I do not give out my mobile phone number willy nilly, for a reason. I don't expect to find myself included in such a directory without my consent and by that I mean my consent to be included in the 118800 directory rather than my consent for some online shop to hold the number when I have purchased something, for example.

Not that I have the choice to opt out right now, with the website down and the company not taking opt-out calls by telephone while it implements those 'major developments' to the service.

A 118800 spokesperson has denied reports that number removal requests are to blame for the prolonged downtime. She told El Reg http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/13/118800_failure_encore/ that it was "was suffering technical problems caused by a rushed launch" and went on to blame bad press reports. Meh.

Hello, Joe from 118800.co.uk here.

Just to reassure you that we’ll never actually give out anyone’s personal details. When you search on 118800.co.uk, we’ll send an SMS message to the person you’re looking for, giving them your contacts details and it is then up to you if you wish to call them back or not.

The service aims to connect people that know each other’s name and address. We don’t give out numbers to anyone, especially sales organisations.

Our service on 118 800 and 118800.co.uk was being tested in June. There are now developments we want to make to improve the service for our customers. But due to the high levels of enquiries we are getting, we are simply not able to complete the technical work required whilst the service is live. We are sorry for inconvenience and will be up and running again as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us on contact@118800.co.uk

Thanks,

Joe
118800.co.uk

Thanks for the update Joe.

I don't want my mobile number given out, as people are always trying to find out who I am!

Joe from 118 800: Your own CEO admitted on the BBC's Working Lunch 14/7 that this data was made live on the Internet without proper testing. How can the public feel assured that proper security measures have been taken to prevent any hacking into your servers, which contain thousands of confidential records from people who don't want to be on your database?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.