I'm recently completed my Master's of Arts degree in Political Science. While I was in grad school, I had to learn R. From there, I began learning Python and Perl. When I was in grad school, I was utilizing most of these languages for data analysis and data visualization. For example, I would use the Python library NetworkX to conduct network analysis. I'm now looking for jobs, and realizing that the private sector doesn't value my political science degree, and doesn't really care if I learned any programming languages. For this reason, I am considering returning to school to get a BS in computer science while I world part-time at Wall-Mart. Has anyone followed a similar path? Was it worth it? Would it be better to pursue a degree in statistics as I am more concerned about data analysis and visualization? (My goal is ultimately to work as a data analyst) One other factor which complicates my situation is that I have a felony. I never served any time in prison, but i'm sure that it's a major reason why employers aren't offering me jobs.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

>>One other factor which complicates my situation is that I have a felony
As an adult or a juvenile? And how recent? Your chances of getting a US Government related job (or a job with a contractor who has government contracts) is slim to none.

Sounds like you want to be a career student??? Don't get too many different degrees because that might hurt you too, such as like becoming over qualified for a job.

>>Has anyone followed a similar path?
Not me.

>>> As an adult or a juvenile? And how recent?
It occured when I was 21, which was three and a half years ago. It was a "sex offense."

>>> Sounds like you want to be a career student???
No, I hated my time in grad school and don't want to go through it again. HOWEVER, I want to work, have income, and be productive in a career. Therefore, I am willing to return to school if it means that I'll have a greater chance of finding employment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.