Hiya I am currently using Dreamweaver but I was wondering if there are any other good HTML editors about. I have searched around but a lot are too basic. I want one design friendly but you still have the option to code. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

What does Dreamweaver not do that you want?

There is another editor called nvu ... I havnt used it but I've heard its good. But I love dreamweaver .. its a blend of code and design.

Personally I like TopStyle Pro (http://www.bradsoft.com).
No flashy WYSIWYDG (what you see is what you don't get) interface, but a solid high performance code editor.

And it integrates into Dreamweaver if you go for that kind of thing :)

I want something more designing not more coding. Dreamweaver is fine (Narue) just I want to test out others.

Frontpage is about the only other tool that compares to dreamweaver.

Anways, I wrote all my pages from scratch with JEdit.

Note: JEdit kicks butt. It's like duck tape, you can use it for about anything.

Frontpage is about the only other tool that compares to dreamweaver.

I never used Frontpage but from what I hear about it from others, its junk. The closest thing to Dreamweaver is probably Adobe's GoLive. I prefer Dreamweaver because thats what I'm used to, but my buddy swears by GoLive.

I never used it either, just taking a guess. Actually, I haven't used anythig but notepad. I need to get a copy of something like dreamweaver though because you can't do that much by 'hand'.

Hello,

FrontPig doesn't compare to Dreamweaver. That is like saying a Pinto compares to a Semi Truck.

I would have said something like Adobe GoLive. My earlier pages were done with GoLive, and they looked nice.

Christian

So far I like NVU the best its basically what I was looking for. Design but you can still view the code source. Thanks anyways. Plus Frontpage sucks its just another crappy Microsoft program.

I think Dreamweaver is best, and FrontPage sucks.

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

what i like about dreamweaver is that it suppoorts almost everything and what i hate about frontpage iis that is supports almost nothing.

That's very true vishesh,
One more vote for Dreamweaver, as it intuitive interface and extensive library make me crazy for using.

Have you tried aptana.

I don't use it but our design guy uses it instead of Dreamweaver these days. Also Notepad++ is good for quick editing; syntax highlighting, html tag closure, integrated html tidy, split panes, lots of other goodies too.

/for the record I use vim

I never used it either, just taking a guess. Actually, I haven't used anythig but notepad. I need to get a copy of something like dreamweaver though because you can't do that much by 'hand'.

This is wrong by definition. Dreamweaver produces code, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, all of which can be and is written by hand.

I use an IDE for Software Development, but never for Web Development (exception: ASP.NET, the web language designed to require an IDE).

For HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (as well as PostScript, PHP, and PL/B), I use TextPad.

I generally use dreamweaver once i have completed the page and just have to insert he content text.

For text editing I use TextPad, and for WYSIWYG coding I used to use Net Objects Fusion but I don't anymore. For the record, I haven't used Dreamweaver or GoLive and probably won't. I seem to run up against the limitations of WYSIWYG editors too soon. They also generate some bulky code.

They also generate some bulky code.

EXACTLY...that's why i dont like using them very much,

I use FrontPage98 still for when I need to design tables or something, but for the most part I just use good ol' notepad.

I'll use HyperEdit when I'm on the Mac though.

Here's the thing... can you download these programs without having to buy them?
also... is textpad also considered an HTML editor?
I want to design my blog on my own and I'm trying to figure out how to transform my designs to codes.

Here's the thing... can you download these programs without having to buy them?

If they are not commercial or shareware i.e free you could get them without buying. If they are such as Dreamweaver you will have to buy that. Getting them i.e. pirated copy without buying is illegal. However you could get trial.

also... is textpad also considered an HTML editor?

Textpad is basically a text editor with quite more features which enables it to edit oths files such as c, c++, html, css etc. So basically its not a complete html editor but still a good choice.

I want to design my blog on my own and I'm trying to figure out how to transform my designs to codes.

To transform your designs into code you surely need to learn html and css.

loadza thanks vishesh...that'll do.

I want something more designing not more coding.

Well I havnt used Nvu, but heard a lot about it.
Another one that I used is DHE Editor, havent used this too, but i saw it in my friends computer and it was damn easy to use. No coding require at all.

If you want to go into coding.....i use WeBuilder and Homesite only.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.