CertifiedMan
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]
Banned

Hi!
I'm new to this forum! Wondering what certifications everyone has?

Member Avatar
happygeek
veganarchist
9,514 posts since Mar 2006
Reputation Points: 1,411 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 451 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 166 [?]
Administrator
Featured

I'm certified insane... Is that what you meant? ;)

Member Avatar
Rashakil Fol
Super Senior Demiposter
2,596 posts since Jun 2005
Reputation Points: 982 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 209 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 42 [?]
Team Colleague

None.

Member Avatar
jwenting
duckman
8,333 posts since Nov 2004
Reputation Points: 1,399 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 445 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 35 [?]
Infraction Points: 5
Team Colleague

once you get into the real world, certifications are pretty much useless as professionals generally understand that most people holding them didn't study to understand the subject matter but merely crammed to pass the exam.

Member Avatar
stevanity
Posting Whiz
304 posts since Oct 2010
Reputation Points: 4 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 28 [?]

once you get into the real world, certifications are pretty much useless as professionals generally understand that most people holding them didn't study to understand the subject matter but merely crammed to pass the exam.

Well, Im a college junior. IF I get a certification, say OCJP, now will it be useful when I apply for a job for the first time?

Member Avatar
Rashakil Fol
Super Senior Demiposter
Team Colleague

Well, Im a college junior. IF I get a certification, say OCJP, now will it be useful when I apply for a job for the first time?

Oracle Certified Java Programmer? Useless. If anything it would count against you. What's much more useful is writing some fun code and putting it up on the web, on your personal website or on a Github account (or Bitbucket, whatever), and mention these things in a section of your resume. I think putting it on a personal website is better, since a lot of candidates have "github accounts" that just contain projects they've forked with very few personal contributions.

Member Avatar
stevanity
Posting Whiz
304 posts since Oct 2010

I see. So you want me to contribute atleast some lines of code to the open source projects at github or sourceforge and mention that in resume?? Thanks for the advice. Now I can stop thinking about getting myself certified.

Member Avatar
Rashakil Fol
Super Senior Demiposter
Team Colleague

I see. So you want me to contribute atleast some lines of code to the open source projects at github or sourceforge and mention that in resume?? Thanks for the advice. Now I can stop thinking about getting myself certified.

Actually I'd recommend making your own projects. But that depends on what you'd rather do.

Member Avatar
stevanity
Posting Whiz
304 posts since Oct 2010

Thanks!

Member Avatar
Narue
Bad Cop
12,139 posts since Sep 2004
Reputation Points: 5,693 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1,537 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 80 [?]
Team Colleague

Oracle Certified Java Programmer? Useless.

Indeed. For that certification all I got was a silly lapel pin. Nobody asks if I'm certified and takes it on faith that I know what the hell I'm doing from previous successful projects.

Member Avatar
jwenting
duckman
Team Colleague

you at least got that pin, all I got was a plastic card with the signature of some vp from Sun proclaiming me certifiable.

Member Avatar
stevanity
Posting Whiz
304 posts since Oct 2010

Hey I think Im asking a silly qn. What exactly, technically, is doing a project?

I mean I have done a lot of programming... but havent worked on a "PROJECT".

Member Avatar
Rashakil Fol
Super Senior Demiposter
Team Colleague

It's where you write code that does something.

Member Avatar
stevanity
Posting Whiz
304 posts since Oct 2010

Dont understand. Do u have to get your project certified or something? How do people trust that u have done some program??

Member Avatar
ChrisHunter
Practically a Master Poster
625 posts since Feb 2011
Reputation Points: 120 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 69 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 15 [?]
Featured

"An individual or collaborative enterprise planned and designed to achieve an aim."

Thats the Google definition, so it's the entire process of creating a program including the design implementation and testing.

Member Avatar
Rashakil Fol
Super Senior Demiposter
Team Colleague

Dont understand. Do u have to get your project certified or something? How do people trust that u have done some program??

If it's on Github, they can see that you have done it.

Member Avatar
Ezzaral
Posting Sage
7,431 posts since May 2007
Reputation Points: 2,714 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 953 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 31 [?]
Featured

The infographic looks like useless promotional propaganda to me. Only half of it's visible and I see no source cited.

Are you at all affiliated with that facebook group?

Member Avatar
jwenting
duckman
Team Colleague

and maybe in some places (like India, where I know this was or is the case) some employers indeed want certification in the mistaken idea that it says anything at all about a candidate (and for outsourcing firms, because they think having "100% certified staff" still sways any serious customer).

Member Avatar
jammerjoe
Newbie Poster
8 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]

and maybe in some places (like India, where I know this was or is the case) some employers indeed want certification in the mistaken idea that it says anything at all about a candidate (and for outsourcing firms, because they think having "100% certified staff" still sways any serious customer).

Love 'em or hate 'em, certifications are a fact of life. You can argue them on both sides, but there are still too many white-haired HR managers who scan for "key terms" and those include certifications. Certs can be good or bad...it really depends on the person getting certified and the reasons for doing so. Certs have value. So does experience. So does a degree. Depending on who you are, what your goals are and what you want to do in iT, you'll need some combination of the three. According to CompTIA, Lenova, Richoh and Dell among others require their techs to be certified. The military has a huge push for certification through their DoD 8570 regs, and there is a lot of trickle down to government contractors and state and local government IT.

So certs aren't useless. Kinda like a pistol...if you have the cert but not the knowledge it's like having a gun but no bullets.

Member Avatar
WaltP
Posting Sage w/ dash of thyme
9,363 posts since May 2006
Reputation Points: 2,905 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1,151 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 45 [?]
Team Colleague

Love 'em or hate 'em, certifications are a fact of life.

So is gangrene.

Kinda like a pistol...if you have the cert but not the knowledge it's like having a gun but no bullets.

Or, more to the point, like having a gun with bullets, and not understanding what you have. You're going to hurt someone... :icon_twisted:

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: