Hi,

I have been talking to a few programmers online for quite some time now and one thing seems to be a common factor in each discussion, frustration of the job profile given to them. I would like to know from the professional programmers associated with this forum, the followings:

1. Are programmers the most frustrated lot among all the IT professional in the recent years?

2. If yes, then what the reasons are?

3. Many have been telling me that most of the graduate programmers leave the programming field for good just after 5 years on average. Is it any way true?

4. If yes, then what they do after leaving programming for good?

5. Programmers are always under pressure form the managers and management and often feel being neglected and underpaid and overused. If this is the case, what could be the solutions?

I hope you all will share you thoughts with me. Thanks and happy new year and an error free 12 months.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hi

Hi!

1. Are programmers the most frustrated lot among all the IT professional in the recent years?

Not in my experience. I've worked as an IT engineer and system administrator with a rapidly growing corporation. I was much more frustrated before I became a programmer. :)

It depends on where you work. People who are frustrated are stressed and feel powerless. If your work environment promotes that, then you'll be frustrated. If it doesn't, you won't.

3. Many have been telling me that most of the graduate programmers leave the programming field for good just after 5 years on average. Is it any way true?

Probably. A lot of people have wacky visions of what programming is. When they get into the field and see that their visions aren't even close to reality, they get disillusioned and find something else. That's particularly common with people who join the workforce via programming as a hobby.

It could be anything from flipping burgers to rocket science. :cheesy:

5. Programmers are always under pressure form the managers and management and often feel being neglected and underpaid and overused. If this is the case, what could be the solutions?

More recognition, more money, and more time off. Obviously. ;)

Hi

Hello.

No. With great powers come great responsibities, if you think you are frustrated for reasons known to you, the same might be applicable to your Project Manager or any other senior.

Maybe lack of interest in programming or not having an inclination towards programming related things...

No not true, in fact, if you work hard you automatically get recognized as a Lead Software Engineer or Software Consultant..IT totally depends on your efforts. (pun intended)

Some business maybe...;)

If programmers are under pressure due to their managers, even managers are under pressure due to their superiors...Its just a vicious circle.

On a final note, good and hard working programmers are never neglected. Also programmers program due to their inherent interest in the field not only for the sake of money.

Thanks and happy new year and an error free 12 months.

Same to you...May you have a successful debugging session.

First of all I have to say I have no experience in anything but web "programming" (not the real thing ;) ).

However, sometimes I find it very frustrating when I just cannot workout why something is wrong but i would expect this to be similar in say just your standard tech suppost guy. But I find that when programming the pay backs are immense because you actually create something there and then yourself whereas if you are doing a job like IT support then the only satisfaction is knowing that you have fixed someones problem of accidentally losing the word icon on their desktop. ;)

I don't think you could really call programming the most frustrating IT occupation. But it has its moments

First of all I have to say I have no experience in anything but web "programming" (not the real thing ;) ).

However, sometimes I find it very frustrating when I just cannot workout why something is wrong but i would expect this to be similar in say just your standard tech suppost guy. But I find that when programming the pay backs are immense because you actually create something there and then yourself whereas if you are doing a job like IT support then the only satisfaction is knowing that you have fixed someones problem of accidentally losing the word icon on their desktop. ;)

I don't think you could really call programming the most frustrating IT occupation. But it has its moments

As a developer the two things that get on my nerves most are

<rant>
a) Users/clients. Yes I know they pay the bills but it doesn't half piss me off when I complete a piece of work that meets their initial requirements then some bright spark comes up with an idea that requires a total refactoring of it. Ok, my company will charge extra for this but I don't see any of it and I'm the one who gets bored out of my face re-doing their bloody change requests.

b) Meetings. They just bore me but are pretty unavoidable so I guess I can put up with them.
</rant>
The rest of the job is fine.

As a developer the two things that get on my nerves most are

<rant>
a) Users/clients. Yes I know they pay the bills but it doesn't half piss me off when I complete a piece of work that meets their initial requirements then some bright spark comes up with an idea that requires a total refactoring of it. Ok, my company will charge extra for this but I don't see any of it and I'm the one who gets bored out of my face re-doing their bloody change requests.

Yeah, I agree. Often it isn't really the money that matters as much as finishing it because sometimes they can be so boring.

Thanks a lot my mates. I am happy to have so many interesting replies from you. Cheers...

Hi,

Hi!

I think we are, and it takes a lot to stick with it. (especially if your not getting paid) I have been programming for about a year, and i have had my share of challenges. You just gotta take a break sometimes and figure it out.

Depending on the complexity of a program it can take anywhere from a week to a month to find a missing semicolin.

Im still in my 2nd year of highschool, and i have lightly used around 20 langugages. I work for my sysad who was a programmer but got sick of it. he is 21 now and hates it. I think its just system administration isnt as logic intensive.

often it is logic and hardware, but i had a teacher once who had left assembely to become a logic and java teacher.

I think, it has to do with the psychology of the environment. If one works in a healthy environment, he will often be happy.

cheers
Matt

Hi!
I think we are, and it takes a lot to stick with it. (especially if your not getting paid) I have been programming for about a year, and i have had my share of challenges. You just gotta take a break sometimes and figure it out.
Depending on the complexity of a program it can take anywhere from a week to a month to find a missing semicolin.
Im still in my 2nd year of highschool, and i have lightly used around 20 langugages. I work for my sysad who was a programmer but got sick of it. he is 21 now and hates it. I think its just system administration isnt as logic intensive.
often it is logic and hardware, but i had a teacher once who had left assembely to become a logic and java teacher.
I think, it has to do with the psychology of the environment. If one works in a healthy environment, he will often be happy.

cheers
Matt

Thanks Matt,

Very good and realworld reply. Appreciated.

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I completely agree. It can get frustrating, but in the end it's very satisfying to know that you actually created something useful :)

as a trainee, i get a fair salary...and im just learning and learning, hassle free...:)

Ill try to answear the question there…
Nope, because its just a some option for all off u to keep stay exist. in this case not only in IT’ers too but in every section that need ur brain to think some brand new in some section..
For as mu assumption here… thas all because a depretion off some deadline. But i thing it will be paid by some feed back from the company (if works in office) by some bonus fee or some additional intensive money, let said like steve *see on the images at the top*. And it will be fine too if he have been sell some software / web in good price (if only work alone) and thats all

Its well come back in every steeps to see and term condition off the problem. Because theres nothing closed chance if he have some chance to changes a carrer in export import and will be a billioner in some times right ?
Like i have said before. Its will be back to the self off each Programers. But i have to think that maybe he have to work alone and or just make some company for consulated about It’ers etc…
GO OUT …!!! Because as the profesional. Eventhough me as a programer have to think that code is like an art and poetry. So i think need some a mood to make something right ?? and for all the case, U and Me as a programer just need to know that we have a responsibilities here, and or u just out and work alone for some company that u have build started from zero..
And thats all buddy.. How about u Dear ???
regards….

Ill try to answear the question there…
Nope, because its just a some option for all off u to keep stay exist. in this case not only in IT’ers too but in every section that need ur brain to think some brand new in some section..
For as mu assumption here… thas all because a depretion off some deadline. But i thing it will be paid by some feed back from the company (if works in office) by some bonus fee or some additional intensive money, let said like steve *see on the images at the top*. And it will be fine too if he have been sell some software / web in good price (if only work alone) and thats all

Its well come back in every steeps to see and term condition off the problem. Because theres nothing closed chance if he have some chance to changes a carrer in export import and will be a billioner in some times right ?
Like i have said before. Its will be back to the self off each Programers. But i have to think that maybe he have to work alone and or just make some company for consulated about It’ers etc…
GO OUT …!!! Because as the profesional. Eventhough me as a programer have to think that code is like an art and poetry. So i think need some a mood to make something right ?? and for all the case, U and Me as a programer just need to know that we have a responsibilities here, and or u just out and work alone for some company that u have build started from zero..
And thats all buddy.. How about u Dear ???
regards….

That made my brain hurt...

commented: Me too! +10
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.