Hi there,

My current computer is a little slow and I am wondering if it's better to upgrade it or start over. I have found a cheapish computer system am wondering what Pentium it is equivelent to.

Current Computer
CPU: Pentium 2
HDD: 80 Gig (originally 6 Gig)
RAM: around 200Mb
CD: RW and CD drives

Cheapish Computer (Box only)
CPU: AMD Semperon 2800+
HDD: 80 Gig
RAM: 256Mb
CD: RW drive
COST: AUD$549.00

I'd like my coputer to run the Macromedia suite (Dreamweaver, Flash, etc), as well as Photoshop and Illustrator. I am able to upgrade the main components myself (RAM, HDD, CD).

Any information/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Upgrading will cost too much for what you want to do with your computer. Even the cheap-ish computer is kinda low on RAM, so it's not going to be quite ideal for your needs either. You'll want at least 512 MB - 1 GB to be ideal.

The Sempron 2800+ is slightly faster than a Pentium 3. I don't have any specs in front of me, but that's basically around the clock speed that it runs at. You should question whether buying this computer is worth it. You could probably get a Dell computer that although low on RAM, would have a better processor.

Hi Joe!

Thanks for the information. Could you please suggest some better processors so I know what to look for?

Although by the time I pay for the computer and then pay for the processor I might as well get a computer that already had it in, is it possible to upgrade the processor of the cheapish computer?

If you haven't guessed, I prefer using the computer, not fixing it! :-|

Thanks for the information. Could you please suggest some better processors so I know what to look for?

Mmm, the processor isn't that bad; a Pentium 3 is acceptable for Photoshop. Only get a higher processor if you really need more speed. My point was that the RAM was so low on that computer that it's not really worth buying it.

However, better processors I would recommend is the AMD 64 and Pentium D or Pentium 4. Intel Core Duo's all the rage now too, so you may want to check that out.

The cheap computer costs too much (is this used or new?). A better idea would be to get a package deal from a computer manufacturer, then you get warranty, a new copy of Windows (likely Vista if that interests you), and likely some thrown in software.

The cheap computer comes with XP Home (which I will hopefully be dual booting with Linux later on) on a CD, my current version is a shared copy. I actually started out pricing XP CDs (ranging in price from AUD$320 for Home to AUD$480 for Pro at a retail price) and extra RAM but found this 'box only' special which included the CD at a local computer shop. I'd actually prefer not to get Vista, not just yet anyway.

I can get more RAM from around AUD$60 for 256 (possibly free from a friend or spare computer).

Regarding the processor, I miss-understood your previous post, sorry!

You could probably get a Dell computer that although low on RAM, would have a better processor.

The cheap computer is brand new with one year warranty.

The cheap computer is brand new with one year warranty.

Ah, sorry about that! I somehow assumed that the "cheap computer" was a second-hand machine.

Yeah, $500 is alright for a new machine. Since you're not going to be doing anything really stressful, a PIII with somewhere in between 512 and 1 GB of RAM (depending on how heavily you use the computer) will run fine.

commented: Thank you for your help with the cheap computer! :) - From Sunflowerz +1

I hadn't even considered that it might have been second hand... I still can't believe how instant emails are! Type a question, hit send, get a reply within 5 minutes! Of course it's only because the shop's not closed! :)

As long as this cheap computer is faster than my current one (and I have the option/ability to upgrade the components) and will handle the programs fine I think it is a good buy.

Thank you so much for your help, it's greatly appreciated. :)

*breaks open piggy bank and starts counting coins* :cheesy:

How about looking for used but fast computers on eBay? I got my last laptop there and it's worked great for me for 2 years.

Hi Sypad! :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I am still a little cautious of buying over the Internet, especially from e-bay. I'd also like to see the computer before I say I'll buy it. Time is also an issue, as I am studying it would be hard to pick up/have delivered the computer.

I will keep buying online in mind though for the future. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.