Hi folks ... im in desperate need of some assistance. Somehow (all of a sudden) my Office 2007 doesnt work and I get the following message when trying to open Word, Excel etc... "The command cannot be performed because the dialog box is open. Click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to continue", and also this message behind the previous one "Microsoft Office Word has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application".

hhmmm, its just come up with this completely out of the blue. I've tried System Restores and tried removing Office 2007 using the 'add/remove programs' but the icons remain in the Start Menu.

I have also tried deleting the 'Microsoft Office' folder from 'Program FIles' but get an error saying "Cannot delete MSOHEVI.DLL. Access is denied" :(

Can anyone offer any assistance or guide me through the process to COMPLETELY remove Office from my computer so I can install 2003 (as i prefer it)!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Are you the computer administrator of your machine? Have you been using the same account since you installed office '07

Are you the computer administrator of your machine? Have you been using the same account since you installed office '07

Hi mate. yeah its my home computer. all seems to be sorted now, i have managed to get hold of 'Your Uninstaller! 2006' and that got rid of the bugger in a matter of minutes!!! bye bye Office 2007 and welcome home 2003!

*i appreciate office 2007 is a great package but i came a little unstuck when sending my CV off to companies as they couldnt open it with Office 2003.

They couldn't open '07 documents in office 03?? That's strange..

to be honest i cant recall trying ... although i did send my CV to a company and I got an email back saying it wouldnt open. i then assumed that office 07 wasnt backwards compatable. oh i dunno, i may warm to 2007 again, but for today im more than happy to have a working word processor, be it 2003 ... i may start experimenting with 07 when ive calmed down a little! lol

lol.. Well I'm glad that your problem is resolved..

I've only briefly experimented with Office '07 (The trial period from the cd!).. It had a cool new look and feel, but I prefer to stick with what I'm used to!

cheers mate, much appreciated! take it easy!

Yes. I am sole user and administrator.

Hi mate. yeah its my home computer. all seems to be sorted now, i have managed to get hold of 'Your Uninstaller! 2006' and that got rid of the bugger in a matter of minutes!!! bye bye Office 2007 and welcome home 2003!

*i appreciate office 2007 is a great package but i came a little unstuck when sending my CV off to companies as they couldnt open it with Office 2003.

Where may I get "Uninstaller 2006"? If I ever get Office 2007 deleted it is back to Office 2003 which worked like a charm.

I'm sure a google search would turn up that software.. however, it is much easier to simply delete Office 2007 using Microsoft's add/remove program. It should be efficient in removing the application..

That was the first thing I tried and it did not work! Message was unable to delete msohevi.dll This is associated with Office 2003 wihch I had previously. I am resigned to reformating HD to get rid of Office 2007.
Thanks for reply

yes it wouldn't because all Of2007 documents are stored with an 'x' suffixed to the extension. viz .docx,.xslx etc.

To let Office2007 files open in 2003 and earlier version there is an Option in File->Save as Office 97-2003 format
then only you can open but with considerable loss of features which are missing in 2003 and earlier versions.

I am running windows XP prof and have the same problem withe the Office 2007. I want to delete it and when I delete it in windows add/remove programs it is gone from there but not from the computer. I have removed all refrences, that I can find, in regedit and remover the office 12 folder. When I click on an excel file office 2007 magically reappears everwhere. It's like a virus!! Where can I find the uninstaller 2006? Like the other poster here I want to run my 2003 office. I am completely hppy with it and have no desire to Buy or learn the new program.

Thanks

the reason they could not open your CV is because 1 2007 saved files as docx, earlier version cant open unless they install a patch, the next thing is the font u used, some fonts are new in 2007, not recognized in earliear version, as for uninstalling addremove would have done the job, if u ever decice to use 2007 again set the default file save as ext to be doc and the same for excel.

I googled for the uninstaller 2006 and downloaded a full trial verison. It only took a few minutes then for it to remove all of the pieces and parts of office 2007. I had to then rerun my Office 2003 disk and select the "repair" option as the uninstaller aparently removed some common files. Was not a big issue as the repair only took less than a minute to run and only saw it replace 2 files. Everthing is working fine now with no more hastles from the Office 2007. By the way I think the new MS format on 2007 stinks. It may have more features, but 2003 does everything I need and am completely happy with it.

Office 2007 is more focus on security and business conferencing sharing documents over the internet, hence the extra security in a leterr added on the file extentions. Now if there is nothing else make the post as SOLVED

thanks for the input

This is a typical Microsoft thing. I've done many installs with the 07 version and the full install has to be done after going to add/remove programs in control panel and completely removing the trial version. If you don't you get all kinds of nice little setting errors.

PS don't use the trial version or it locks in it's own dll's that won't be removed unless you go in manually to the registry and remove them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.