Hi,

I would like to know that if I hyperlink a image to another page, would this be counted as a backlink by Google ?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Oh, the search engine knows all about the linked image and it's subsequent linked webpage but you may not necessarily be able to verify it.

For SEO, how it scores image links is obviously a bit lower than it would a textual link but the image link can still be quite usueful and it can create some important value; for relevancy purposes moreso than for developing Backlink volume.

Linked images can be used, lightly, to fuse two credible webpages together in order to support each other with related content. It's a win-win deal. Be sure to make good use of the alt attribute and give the image a logical-name.jpg [doean't hurt if the subsequent webpage is also logically-named.htm . Throw in some related textual content (Hx tags are good for this) near the image too (such as in an image caption) to make little concentrations of keyphrases.

I would assume (but I don't know this for sure) that good keywords in the alt text for the image might play a part in how much link juice gets passed along with the link. Does anybody know for sure?

So, the image link does count as backlink, but does it help in ranking also if alt attribute is my keyword ? Just like anchor text in hyperlinks.

Does the benefit of alt attribute pass to the linked page.

Yes, there have been a number of SEO articles where the only instance of a phrase has been in the alt text of a linked image. The tyext appeared in google almost immediately, and hit on searches as highly ranked as other text from the same site.
Don't have a cite for it, the text I copied to my notes "The ALT tag of an hyperlinked image (which means the <a href=""> tag seems to have the same importance of a text link. Therefore google will index it as it was a simple text link. So pay much attention to text you include in this kind of ALT attribute. "
likely from googlerank.com

i think an alt tag will help for images

So, the image link does count as backlink, but does it help in ranking also if alt attribute is my keyword ? Just like anchor text in hyperlinks.

It counts as a backlink but one that is not as strong as a textual link and usually cannot be degtected in the backlink results meaning that it is considered as an auxiliary link. Your alt attribute should contain more than just a keyword. Write actual complete sentences to describe the image appropriately and cleanly (naturally) insert your keyphrases in there when the situation merits.

I would think it does, indirectly; particularly in cases when the alt text is on a webpage whose content is related to the linked webpage's content.

Hi,

I would like to know that if I hyperlink a image to another page, would this be counted as a backlink by Google ?

The short answer: Yes.

The short answer: Yes.

ALT text in images that are linked are counted as anchor text.

Hi,

Yes it will be counted as a back link! as long as it is linking to the website. Image link building is also a good way to get back links.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.