Hi anyone,

Can you please explain to me what PR5 means.

Thanks

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

PR, or Google Pagerank, is a very rough estimation of how important google feels a webpage is. Note I said web page and not web site. In other words, each page of a site has its own PR. Generally the higher the PR of a page, the more google will spider links off of that page (the deeper it will crawl) and the more often it will spider the page.

In any case, PR is calculated into google's ranking alogorithm (not as much as it used to be, though) and is therefore a factor in how well your site ranks in the search engines. Note that a high PR itself doesn't guarantee higher placement - it is just a rough estimate that most likely your site will be crawled deeper and spidered more by google.

The way that google figures it, if a lot of different pages from all around the Internet all link to a particular webpage, that page must be pretty important or have pretty good content. Therefore, PR of a page is calculated based on how many other pages from different websites all link to that page. When a site links to your page, it's called a backlink. i.e. when someone says that they have 50 backlinks, it means that 50 pages have linked to their page.

In any case, not all backlinks carry the same weight. If you get linked from a page with a high PR that google considers important, it carries much more weight than if you got linked from a page with a low PR. It could actually take thousands of backlinks from low PR pages to carry as much weight as 2 or 3 links from high PR pages. PageRank ranges anywhere from 0 to 10, with 10 being the absolute best. A PR of 4 or below is usually very easily achieved. PR5 takes a bit of work. PR6 even more so. PR7 and 8 take lots of work to achieve. PR9 and PR10 are usually only achieved by very, very big sites (i.e. corporate sites).

I forgot to add ... so I'll do that now. To find out the PR of any page, all you need is to download the Google IE toolbar and to enable showing PageRank. Then, as your browse the web in Internet Explorer, the PR of any page will be shown as a green bar.

That was going to be my next question LOL

Okay when I DLed both the Google & Alexa toolbars, it screwed up my computer & also I didn't want the popup blocker on my comptuer, so I removed them both.

Can I have the Google toolbar without the popup blocker?

Also I use FF, not IE. Will it still work?

Thanks & TTYL

Michelle

I forgot to add ... so I'll do that now. To find out the PR of any page, all you need is to download the Google IE toolbar and to enable showing PageRank. Then, as your browse the web in Internet Explorer, the PR of any page will be shown as a green bar.

That was going to be my next question LOL

Okay when I DLed both the Google & Alexa toolbars, it screwed up my computer & also I didn't want the popup blocker on my comptuer, so I removed them both.

Can I have the Google toolbar without the popup blocker?

Also I use FF, not IE. Will it still work?

Thanks & TTYL

Michelle

You can disable the popup blocker on IE, FF allready has an inbuilt popup blocker if you turn it off and i dont know about anybody else but i dont see the green bar in FF so i dont think that appears in there :(

So you are saying there is no point in DLing the Google bar :cry:

I know how to turn it off on FF. I wasn't asking that, I was asking about it in the Google Toolbar as I believe it's built in.

Thanks

Michelle

You can disable the popup blocker on IE, FF allready has an inbuilt popup blocker if you turn it off and i dont know about anybody else but i dont see the green bar in FF so i dont think that appears in there :(

Google toolbar has a "block/allow popups" feature. So you can toggle between them as required, or whatever as whenever. :)

Okay, but I still can't use it on FF right?

Thanks

Michelle

Google toolbar has a "block/allow popups" feature. So you can toggle between them as required, or whatever as whenever. :)

Nope, sorry. The google toolbar is an Internet Explorer toolbar. If you don't use IE and want to find out the PageRank of a page, check out the tools available at http://www.digitalpoint.com

Thanks a ton both of you :D

Have a great day/night !

Michelle

Hi anyone,

Can you please explain to me what PR5 means.

Thanks

Michelle

PR is Google's way of indexing how popular a site is, mainly based on the other sites that link to it. A PR5 site is a fairly popular/well linked to site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.