Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what is the best file format to use when you are uploading images on a website? I want the pages to load as quickly as possible but also want to have a few images on each page and just wanted to know the best type of file format to use for the images?

Many thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

There is no official "Best" format but most people preffer .PNG (Allows transparency also small file size)
Its between PNG and JP(E)G but its more up to personal prefference

Hi Samarudge,

Thanks for that. I have heard differing reports about which file format is smaller the PNG or the Jpeg. Some people say that the PNG file format is bigger in size to the comparable Jpeg format.

The website im working on im looking to improve the loading times on the web pages so need to reduce the size of the images whilst maintaining the quality of them and so this is why i need this help. And I just wanted to know if there is any other way of reducing the loading times of web pages whilst keeping the same amount of images on the page.

Many thanks.

Hi Samarudge,

Thanks for that. I have heard differing reports about which file format is smaller the PNG or the Jpeg. Some people say that the PNG file format is bigger in size to the comparable Jpeg format.

The website im working on im looking to improve the loading times on the web pages so need to reduce the size of the images whilst maintaining the quality of them and so this is why i need this help. And I just wanted to know if there is any other way of reducing the loading times of web pages whilst keeping the same amount of images on the page.

Many thanks.

There are many ways to increase page load time, most of them are described in the Yahoo developer docs at http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

You could also look at how to optimise images for web, using Photoshop or some other image editor. The physical size (0x0) of an image and its byte size (dpi) can greatly affect loading time. The image should be reduced to the size it will appear on the web page. I found this link which goes into more detail

http://inobscuro.com/tutorials/read/35/

I will go with gif for non photo images and jpg for images with are photographs or a lot of color gradients. You can always reduce the quality for both gif and jpg to optimize the page.

Hey Gordon,
For pictures and background of things, scenery, portraits, etc. - .jpeg is the best.
For repeating background [gradient, patterns, etc] - .gif will do best [the image should have color values within 256 ]
For images with transparency, you should save the image in .png [PNG-24 for best results]
Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more help.

~DriftingSteps

Hi...gif is the best file format for image png is the also good...

Member Avatar for rajarajan2017

Hey Guys,

Is this an servey going on?

http://www.image-formats.com/

Stop Guys! Get into Some Other Topics!!!!

Jpeg and Gif. Use jpegs for photos, and gifs for cliparty-type things.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.