This computer had a bad sound card (So I thought) and so I decided to replace it with one that was laying around the office (BRAND: Avance). I downloaded all the drivers that I would need and then installed the card. Everything went smoothly and now I can not get any sound out of it at all (like before I replaced the card). I already checked the volume and it is all the way up and it is plugged into the correct socket. I also have checked the speakers to see if they were any good. They are. Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Avance). I downloaded all the drivers that I would need and then installed the card.

So you didnt put the card in before installing the drivers?
(suggestion)Have you tried the card that doesnt work in a different slot (Visea Versa)

This computer had a bad sound card (So I thought) and so I decided to replace it with one that was laying around the office (BRAND: Avance). I downloaded all the drivers that I would need and then installed the card. Everything went smoothly and now I can not get any sound out of it at all (like before I replaced the card). I already checked the volume and it is all the way up and it is plugged into the correct socket. I also have checked the speakers to see if they were any good. They are. Any thoughts?

Does the motherboard have built-in sound? If so, is it diabled in the BIOS? If not, this can lead to conflicts.

Let me rephrase that: I inserted the card BEFORE I installed the drivers. There is not a conflict in the device manager... so I have no idea now

If the motherboard has integrated video, disable it in BIOS first. If youre running XP, uninstall the onboard sound, then go back into BIOS and disable it. Then reinstall the drivers for the new sound card

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.