This is kind of strange, but can anyone concur? When booting up my Windows XP SP2 system I started getting a BSD after the Windows login screen loads - however, this is not the issue. The issue is when I try to get in to Safe Mode I cannot arrow up or down to select how to start up. I thought this might be a keyboard issue, so I tried several keyboards and had the same problem.

Next I decided I would try a fresh install of the OS on a new drive; XP SP2 loaded fine until I got to the place where the Windows Key is entered; all letters enter ok, but every number enters as a special character - 1=! and 2=@ and 3=# and so on (like I was holding down the Shift key). Toggling the Caps Lock has no effect nor does the NumLock. Holding down the shift key also has no effect. I again tried this with several keyboards, all with the same result.

System goes through POST with no problem. No errors shown at any time.

I have concluded that this is likely a motherboard issue. Am I right or wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks ~Brad

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Have you got USB or PS2 keyboards? Have you tried both types? Do they work correctly in your bios?

Have you got USB or PS2 keyboards? Have you tried both types? Do they work correctly in your bios?

Have tried both types of keyboards. Both seem to work ok while in the bios; no up or down issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.