I have a computer that takes around ten minutes after switching
the power on for it to start. It had happened like this sometimes back but when I ran adware and removed some spyware and was ok but now I have run adware and removed some spywares ,run updated norton but the problem doesnt look like going away although the time it takes has reduced by around half.What could be wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

I have a computer that takes around ten minutes after switching
the power on for it to start. It had happened like this sometimes back but when I ran adware and removed some spyware and was ok but now I have run adware and removed some spywares ,run updated norton but the problem doesnt look like going away although the time it takes has reduced by around half.What could be wrong?

try defragmenting the computer and also lowering the amount of programs that start up with windows...disk cleanup also helps. BTW what are the components of this machine?

definately a disk cleanup and a defrag. also stop any unnecessary programs running on startup. also i have found that using a program like regisrty mechanic helps cos it gets rid of any redundant registry entries and dll files. other option is to open up the pc and give it a good dusting with some compressed air spray. while you're at it jot down the components of your machine and tell us. dust build up can cause heat and heat can slow your pc down. give it a go and let us know what happens.

try clearing the system cache once in a while too.

I think you should run the msconfig utility by going to start run and typing msconfig and click on startup items and uncheck those programs which you do not want to load. You can also download a software called system mechanic which is very good at finding and removing junk and unwanted registry files.System Mechanic

whats the website for downloading the system mechanic utility. i've downloaded registry mechanic but its only a trial version and i want a full version.

as far as i know u get only trial version of it or else u have to purchase it or get the full version the other way :)

yeh and for the slow system click on start>click on run>type %temp% and hit enter
a folder will open it up deleate everything that also eases the system

I am not sure, but if it was something which occured recently, or new, maybe you can go to 'system restore' and restore it like it was before(thats if it is new)

I had a similar problem for a while and I tried a lot of things to discover the cause. Eventually I stumbled onto the idea of running ChkDsk on all my drives. Interestingly, this fixed a problem on one of my drives that does not contain my system partition, but after that the delay was gone! I guess during startup the machine was struggling to validate that drive that had some bad sectors or something. This may not be your situation, but try running ChkDsk on all your drives and see what happens.

I had a similar problem for a while and I tried a lot of things to discover the cause. Eventually I stumbled onto the idea of running ChkDsk on all my drives. Interestingly, this fixed a problem on one of my drives that does not contain my system partition, but after that the delay was gone! I guess during startup the machine was struggling to validate that drive that had some bad sectors or something. This may not be your situation, but try running ChkDsk on all your drives and see what happens.

its most certainly worth a try. i always run chkdsk with the f paramenter though. Rids most problems and such like.:p

Webroot Spysweeper Is Far Better Than System Mechanics As Spysweeper Is A Complete Standalone And Will Not Come Into Any Conflict With Firewalls Etc.

Webroot Spysweeper Is Far Better Than System Mechanics As Spysweeper Is A Complete Standalone And Will Not Come Into Any Conflict With Firewalls Etc.

im not 100% positive, but i believe system mechanic is a registry cleaner/fixer. Spysweeper only is an adware removal program which makes them 2 different things. Also, i dont understand what you mean that they would come in conflict with a firewall. They only connect to the internet to update. I think spysweeper is a good program, but one needs system mechanic also, not one or the other

Thats not quite right nizzy take it from me had been there
I bought system mechanics and it came into conflict with mcafee firewall security so
I returned it and replaced it with webroot spysweeper which sweep all files registry and drives and would suggest you go for it.

However,if you go to daschund.com you can get to excellent
2 in 1 software package called anti crash and hare.

Hare,is a windows accellorator and will speed up windows upto 300%
has a feature called memory wash and defragmentation.

anti crash is wht it is and is excellent for repairing corrupt or damage files the rest I am going to let you find out for yourself and what I have given you is first hand experience an I can tell you now that both are unbeatable combination value for money. so go for it.!!!!

im not 100% positive, but i believe system mechanic is a registry cleaner/fixer. Spysweeper only is an adware removal program which makes them 2 different things. Also, i dont understand what you mean that they would come in conflict with a firewall. They only connect to the internet to update. I think spysweeper is a good program, but one needs system mechanic also, not one or the other

system mechanic is everything and they do not conflict with any firewalls. i have this and norton internet security and adware SE running alongside each other without any problems.:)

system mechanic is everything and they do not conflict with any firewalls. i have this and norton internet security and adware SE running alongside each other without any problems.:)

I use zone alarm firewall and when a new program is run and it tries to access the internet i get a popup that asks if it is ok once, always, or never...is that what you got with mcaffe?if so that is not a conflict really, its just doing what it is supposed to be doing

I use zone alarm firewall and when a new program is run and it tries to access the internet i get a popup that asks if it is ok once, always, or never...is that what you got with mcaffe?if so that is not a conflict really, its just doing what it is supposed to be doing

i used mcaffee once about two years ago. the program itself was fairly easy to work with but in caused a lot of conflicts within my system especially with one of my music programs. Zone alarm has some good reviews but i have never used it myself so i cant reccomend what i havent used. Norton internet security does exactly the same thing as zone alarm in respect to ok ing a program to access the internet but im not sure if zone alarm also asks you if you want to run java script etc though. norton does.:mrgreen:

i used mcaffee once about two years ago. the program itself was fairly easy to work with but in caused a lot of conflicts within my system especially with one of my music programs. Zone alarm has some good reviews but i have never used it myself so i cant reccomend what i havent used. Norton internet security does exactly the same thing as zone alarm in respect to ok ing a program to access the internet but im not sure if zone alarm also asks you if you want to run java script etc though. norton does.:mrgreen:

it does not ask you about running java scripts and that is a bumer because many viruses are launched through java...other wise the program has been perfect and above every expectation ive had

mcafee just sits in the background and if there is something untoward a task bar dialogue box will popup to give you the options to allow access or not.

when I said there was a conflict of software between mcafee and system mechanics thats what it was when first loading the firewall files each would try to load up first and effectively causes a freeze up thats why I mentioned the standalone feature of webroot spysweeper and I suggest a better software package than system mechanics.

Go to Daschund.com and you will be introduced to a twin package called anti crash and hare the anti crash has far better features for scanning and repairing files and register including all storage drives.

The hare is a windows accelorator which does exactly what it says and more it can increase windows response by as much as 300% and will prevent any spam on your e:mails.hare will also wash and defragment which increses your memory the rest i will let you discover for around 30 quid its brilliant and more user friendly than system mechanic looad it and try before you buy you wo'nt regret it

HI,

This has workeed for me in Windows XP in slow boot. Download BOOTVIS.EXE. Then make sure your enableprefetch ability is enabled in the registry. In Windows/Prefech folder delete all the old prefech files. Then reboot and defragment your machine with windows defragmenter. Run BOOTVIS.EXE to optimize your system. Then run system idle processes using this command in the RUN command line, type this.

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Then repeat defragment and bootvis again. You should have a faster boot now.

Hope this helps,

:) - Skye

commented: great post skye +1

HI,

This has workeed for me in Windows XP in slow boot. Download BOOTVIS.EXE. Then make sure your enableprefetch ability is enabled in the registry. In Windows/Prefech folder delete all the old prefech files. Then reboot and defragment your machine with windows defragmenter. Run BOOTVIS.EXE to optimize your system. Then run system idle processes using this command in the RUN command line, type this.

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Then repeat defragment and bootvis again. You should have a faster boot now.

Hope this helps,

:) - Skye

i'll certainly bear that in mind. where do you down load BOOTVIS from???:cool:

thanks nizzy

Thanks nizzy. Sorry about that, I'd lost all my links and files in my other computer. Thanks for posting the proper link to the bootvis file. I'll try to be more specific in the future. For many people there are so many useless prefetch items taking up space and it never gets optimised. Or they don't have it enabled. If they have XP.

to check to see if your prefetch is set right, to navigate to your registry type 'regedit" in the run command line, from "start" then browse to;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

The default value for this should be set at 3. If it is set to 1 or 2, change it to 3. This will enable the prefetcher to prefetch both applications and boot processes. Setting it to a number 1 means only boot processes will be prefetched and setting it to 2 means only applications will prefetch. Most people have both applications and boot processes loading at startup. If 'enableprefetch' is set to 0, then booting up will take several minutes as nothing is prefetched then.

As far as I know it is okay to delete prefetch files, especially for old programs.

You may also want to make sure your windows defragmenter is set to defrag the boot files. To check type 'regedit' in the windows "start" run command line and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction.

In right hand panel look for Enable. Right click on it and set it 'Y' for enable.

I always go through this once in a while,

1. delete all the old stuff in C://Windows/Prefetch
2. reboot
3. defrag the machine using windows defrag
4. bootvis
5. run idle tasks command line
6. repeat steps 2 through 5

There may be a program loading, like Norton, that takes a long tome to boot that's causing this trouble.

;) - Skye

Hi all,
This is a old post that I've decided to revive cause the computer that had this problem has not being used since then but now that its been used
I want to resolve this.The thing is ,when you press the power button,nothing happens and even the fans wount start and staying for about 20 mins and keep pressing the power button ,it will start.After being up for about 2 hrs and shutdown and start it will start normally otherwise the problem comes in the initial start in the morning when you start .

maybe its just simply too cold. try leaving it in a warm room or leave it on all the time. it wont hurt it.

Have you been inside the computer at all? Is your floppy hooked up? One time I left a floppy unplugged and it TOOK forever for my computer to boot up.

Kathy

it shouldn't make much of a difference whether or not your floppy drive is hooked up or not. even if its a barebones system it should still boot.

My PC also takes long time to start after power on.

I can not find out the reason....

My PC also takes long time to start after power on.

I can not find out the reason....

tagging a 6 yr old thread is no place to start ,create your own new thread ,explaining your problem and what you have done so far to find the reason for a slow start

mostly long start up due to the start up programs go to run command type msconfig, then click start up click disable all start up..!!!!

commented: Why did you not listen to my advice! -2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.