When I'm playing games, my screen will periodically freeze for 5-10 seconds and then the monitor will go black, loss of signal. I can sometimes hear the game still continuing and can sometimes interact with it. I'll then power down my system and reboot after a 15 second wait and all will be fine. At first, it was happening once a day, but it's now occuring 2-3 times a day. I'm not sure if it's the cpu dying (this caused a friend's pc to power, not post & no video signal) or if it actually is my video card which is only 1 year old.

My system is about 5 years old and has:

MSI K8T-NEO FIS2R mobo
Athlon 3200+ Socket 754
1GB (2x512MB) Kingston DDR400 RAM
ASUS AH3650 AGP 512MB video card
Integrated LAN & Sound
Windows XP 32-bit

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Do you have any software for monitoring temperatures? If not, get Everest Home Edition and see what your temperatures are like.

Do you have any software for monitoring temperatures? If not, get Everest Home Edition and see what your temperatures are like.

Thanks for the above link. My temps are all within normal tolerances. I have noticed that it now seems to only cut out when I'm playing Warcraft, when the video card is under it's heaviest load.

Might be worth giving your graphics cards heatsink a good dust out just in case.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.