Whenever I shut down my computer, it immediatly starts back up again. I just built this computer a while ago, and it has done this ever since. I cannot figure it out; I have tried everything.
Running WinXP home SP1 (bleh), on syntax sis s648 mobo, P4 3.06, Radeon 9200se 128mb, maxtor 120gb, etc.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Whenever I shut down my computer, it immediately starts back up again. I just built this computer a while ago, and it has done this ever since. I cannot figure it out; I have tried everything.
Running WinXP home SP1 (bleh), on syntax sis s648 mobo, P4 3.06, Radeon 9200se 128mb, maxtor 120gb, etc.

There's a fix for this; search on the Microsoft website. What's happening is that Windows is crashing while shutting down -- and the default action under XP is to reboot on a crash. This can be changed, and it may help in diagnosis.

The likely problem is a bad driver not "letting go" properly at shutdown. For starters, check to make sure all drivers are up-to-date.

I cannot seem to find anything on the microsoft pages, but I did open the startup and recovery settings and under system failure I unchecked the automatic restart function, though it didn't help at all.

Do you have APM enabled in your BIOS? What about ACPI? What motherboard do you have?

I have a syntax s648 mobo, and I do have ACPI enabled, but I don't think it has APM, or I cannot find it or any references to it.

Ayh, I think that I have corrected the problem. It seems that something is awry with my sound card (It's really cheap), and so I turned off "Power up on PCI" in BIOS. Everything seems to be going fine now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.