Hi,

Whats the purpose of RAM and Processor in a comp,which are the different types,how to decide which ones are good for general surfing?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

The programs and data that we are currently using are stored in the RAM temporarily so that the processor can access them quickly.

This is because the RAM access time is faster which is in nanoseconds compared to the hard disk access time which is in milliseconds.

So if we have more RAM in our computer, the number of times the processor has to access the data from the hard disk is decreased.

RAM is generally available in multiples of 16 like16MB, 32MB, 128 MB or higher. Almost everyone are using at least 1 GB of RAM for their computers today but 2 GB RAM provides even better performance of the computer while using Windows Vista or using applications like Photoshop.
Data processing systems are systems that manipulate, process, and store data. The processor is the brain of a computer system, performing all calculations and other data manipulation under the control of application and operating system software. A computer data processor is often referred to as a microprocessor. Modern computer systems include a microprocessor and a system memory for storing instructions to be executed by the microprocessor and data to be processed by the instructions. A microprocessor is a circuit that combines the instruction-handling, arithmetic, and logical operations of a computer on a single semiconductor integrated circuit. Microprocessors can be grouped into two general classes, namely general-purpose microprocessors and special-purpose microprocessors. General purpose microprocessors are designed to be programmable by the user to perform any of a wide range of tasks, and are therefore often used as the central processing unit (CPU) in equipment such as personal computers. A microcontroller, or embedded controller, is similar to a microprocessor as used in a personal computer, but with a great deal of additional functionality combined onto the same monolithic semiconductor substrate. Special purpose microprocessors are designed to provide performance improvement for specific predetermined arithmetic and logical functions for which the user intends to use the microprocessor. A digital signal processor (DSP) is a special purpose microprocessor that performs computations which generally require large numbers of arithmetic operations to be performed rapidly. Digital signal processing is connected with the representation of signals by sequences of numbers or symbols and the processing of these signals. Microprocessors often employ the use of pipelining to enhance performance. With pipeline architecture, the tasks performed by a processor are broken down into a sequence of functional units referred to as stages or pipeline stages. Superscalar microprocessors typically execute more than one instruction per clock cycle. Superscalar microprocessors allow parallel instruction execution in two or more instruction execution pipelines. The goal of superscalar and superpipeline microprocessors is to execute multiple instructions per microprocessor clock cycle. In a data processor, a clock signal is generated by a clock generating circuit and various circuit resources operate synchronously with the clock signal. In this way, various kinds of data processing can be executed.
here are two basic types of RAM, namely dynamic RAM and static RAM. A dynamic RAM is called so because it has to be constantly refreshed by the memory controller. The reason for refreshing is that the capacitors that hold the information or data have a built-in leak that can only be stopped by refreshing the information thousands of times in a second. This makes dynamic RAM slower and cumbersome compared to static RAM.

Static RAM is a type of random access memory that has a greater capacity for storage because it uses on-off switches instead of capacitors. However, static RAM is more expensive compared to dynamic RAM because it is faster and can hold more information.

Usually, advanced versions of the dynamic RAM are used instead of using static RAM because of its high price. These versions include FPM (fast page mode), ECC (error correcting code), EDO (extended data output), and SDRAM (synchronous dynamic RAM). ECC RAM is a special error-correcting RAM that is usually used in servers.

try man RAM helps your PC start since it stores the OS and with out it in your machine you will only see a black out.And the processor helps you process all the data you ask your mavhine to processe

commented: stupid comment -1

try man RAM helps your PC start since it stores the OS and with out it in your machine you will only see a black out.And the processor helps you process all the data you ask your mavhine to processe

lol, only see black out

RAM. it a device which work as an alternately running a program without this ur prog will not run as ur prog needs a device that can run ur prog with full power.
Processor. it is a chip that plays an imp role in computer as having one procassor in computer we can run only windows 95/98 but having two processors it runs win XP and having 4 o 8 processors it run linix window.

commented: engrish much? your answer is beyond worthless. it's factually wrong. -1

ram and processor are works for upgrading speed of your computer and ddr ram is better then to all...

commented: congratulations: your answer, while worthless and without value, is not as completely retarded as the rest. -1

There are many types of RAM available like:

SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM)
DDR (Double Data Rate SDRAM)
Rambus DRAM (RDRAM)

Processors are:

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
Intel

The best RAM is DDR and best processor is AMD even Intel also score good. It depends upon your use and your choice.

RAM. it a device which work as an alternately running a program without this ur prog will not run as ur prog needs a device that can run ur prog with full power.
Processor. it is a chip that plays an imp role in computer as having one procassor in computer we can run only windows 95/98 but having two processors it runs win XP and having 4 o 8 processors it run linix window.

Having one processor you can only run win 95/98? Incorrect as windows XP runs fine on one processor
having four or eight it can run linux window? What on earth are you talking about?

hey, it seems that you want to buy a pc and have a little knowledge of its components.
Let me help you..
RAM is a temporary memory which holds your running programs, whereas processor(or CPU) is the thing who is going to process everything(i call it heart and brain of a pc).
Diff types:
RAM nowadays comes in DRAM form, mostly SDRAM, DDR1,DDR2,DDR3 which are on the block currently.for general surfing what matters is the size.it should at least be of 1gb.(DDR2 or DDR3)
PROCESSORS come in two brands, AMD and INTEL, i prefer INTEL, latest is core i series.
i would recommend a core2 duo or core i3 for general surfing.
choose a suitable motherboard which can accomodate above two things. put hard disk(preferably sata ~100gb), keyboard, mouse and your pc is ready.

how can i fiend my motherboard moddle

How to work RAM & CPU&mother board.please tell me.
Thanks...

Forget all the previous helpful advice. I am in my seventies and find these newfangled IT gear hard to follow. I buy mags and books to learn and keep up. I suggest to you and others who have these problems read as much as possible so like me can pass on what we learn. First book to buy is "Computers for Dummies" Don't be put off by the name, if reading in public wrap in a cover. Then you can pass on what you learn by experience to this wonderful web page.

how can i fiend my motherboard moddle

hi newbie here but want to help and share my knowledge....Just click windows+pausebreak then you will see the specs of your computer....

To find mother board model, look at the side bottom of your motherboard

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.