Just received Dell Optiplex GX1 with Windows XP installed. Plugged it in, turned it on and it worked. Installed modem, sound card, plugged it in and the power light turned on by itself, the fan started working, but it never booted up. The only way to turn it off is by disconnecting power supply. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks, Skwirt

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The obvious place to start is by removing the cards you just added and see if it will boot.

I have had a couple of unusual occurances with modems causing boot problems...

Hi Thong_Ispector,
Thank you for the timely advice. I removed both cards and it worked. I tried out each card seperately and neither one works. I took them out of my old computer which "blew up". On closer inspection I discovered the modem card got fried, too. I can't see any obvious damage to the sound card so I will check it out in town. Now I will hook up my printer. I hope my speakers didn't get zapped, too. This is a great site. Thanks to everyone. Skwirt

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.