I need help. I have a Hp desktop about 5 years old now I have a 17" hp lcd monitor. Well when I boot my computer on the monitor will turn off and on and so quick that i cant even log on. Sometimes I can get it to stay on when I boot it up, but if I restart it after an update or something it will go back to the powering off and on.

I dont know if this is bios related not reading the monitor or something. I have also recently restored it to factory setting (XP home) and put all my old back up files on it. It didnt start having this problem till I moved my computer desk about a month ago. This is mainly a kids computer now I have my laptop but I need to get those files off of it and I need help.

Once I get it on after turning off the computer several times (days usually) It is luck of the draw though. But once I get the monitor to stay on it does till we restart or shut the computer down to cool off. (it gets loud) I just dont know what to do and I dont wanna just trash it till I get my files off of it.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Sounds like a fan. Do you feel compfortable removing the side cover of your computer? If so, take it off and clean out the dust, but be sure to avoid Static Discharge (if it is a really dry or cold day save it for later). You could use short bursts from canned air. If this doesn't resolve the noise (and suspected over-heating) issue, replace the noisy fan.

Let us know what you find out.

I have removed that several times to clean out the fan its just a noisy computer.

If fan is turning, I would look at the Video connector and cable. Usually, when people say they have video issues and noise issues we thin, "heat-related." Are you sure the fan (especially the video fan - if there is one) is turning as fast as it should? Has the PC always been this loud? Have you tried a different monitor or cables (if removable)?

Yes the CPU has always been pretty loud. The cables as far as we can see are all good. i do not have another monitor to hook up. I have my Laptop which is a year old and the other puter is 5 years old so I dont have a cable to connect the 2. When all this started I shut down the computer properly and it is in a hutch cabinet and unplugged it all moved it into a different room and when I got it all connected again and turned it on the screen just freaked out. So the rare chance that I am lucky to get the screen to stay on I just will leave it on and hope I dont have to restart it. It is income tax time anyway I might be able to talk hubby into getting a new one and resetting the bios or updating it on old computer after I get all the files off of it.

You should not need to do anything with the BIOS for this problem unless you are getting a Checksum error at boot time. Can you always see that boot screen? Or is it blank throughout startup process?
Can you hear any beeps?

the best way I can decribe it is the power of the monitor goes off and on. The screen is perfect in color and everything. Through the flashes I can see the boot up screen then the log in screen but the log in screen doesnt stay up long enough for me to try and log into one of the accounts.

My husband has pulled off the shell of the monitor and checked the power and the mother board nothing seems swollen or burnt out.

Cables screwed together tight? Check both ends! Power cord pushed in tight?

I am gonna get my butt up lol and un plug it all clean it all off and plug it all back in and see. Thank you for your fast responces and trying to help me. I will post as soon as I am done doing that and let you know if it worked. I really appreciate your help!!!!

Remember the power cord may be removable on the monitor end. This is a common problem when it plugs into the monitor vertically.

OK I unhooked everything cleaned it all up and plugged all back in except for the monitor. I took the monitor throughout the house and tested random outlets and each outlet the power light goes on and off. So I took the monitor apart and nothing is burned or smells burned or swollen for that matter. So it had to be the power cord itself or the power supply inside the monitor.

It is not the power cable. My LCD tv had same plug in and I swapped the power cords and tv worked fine but monitor flashes on and off with both. So must be the internal power thing?

Does your LCD tv Have a VGA input?

no it doesnt.

I hate to say it, but I think you will need to have the monitor repaired or replaced. The problem is the loss of signal can also cause some monitors to go blank. I would find an old CTR (people will often give them away). Swap out the LCD to verify that it is not the video card.

I think we are just gonna count the loss and buy a new monitor. We can get a big new nice one at a decent price lol. Thanks a buncj for your help though

A personal computer is made up of multiple physical components of computer hardware, upon which can be installed an operating system and a multitude of software to perform the operator's desired functions.

----------------
Dallas Homes For Sale

I have my Laptop which is a year old and the other puter is 5 years old so I dont have a cable to connect the 2. When all this started I shut down the computer properly and it is in a hutch cabinet and unplugged it all moved it into a different room and when I got it all connected again and turned it on the screen just freaked out.

Does the light on the monitor go off? Or does it change colors?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.