My monitor has started to go black about twice or more every minute. It lasts for a few seconds and then comes back on again. Sometimes the mouse freezes. Sometimes the desktop becomes garbled when I open a new window. Sometimes the screen goes continuously blank and only comes on again when I reboot. I don't think it is the monitor, because my monitor is also a TV and works fine as a TV. I thought it might be the video card, but don't want to replace it in case it is something else. I have run an anti-virus scan and there don't appear to be any viruses. Can anyone advise.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello,

Could you post the spec of your computer.

Does this problem happen all the time or is it completely random?
Try a lower resolution and/or lower the colour depth. - Lowering these settings may take some strain of the graphics card.

- Let us know how it goes.

It's a Dell Dimension 8300. The problem happens all the time and is getting worse. Screen goes black every few seconds. More freezes and desktop icons sometimes garbled with Microsoft Outlook folders for example. I'm afriad I don't know how to lower the resolution or colour depth. Can you run me through it. Many thanks.

It's a Dell Dimension 8300. The problem happens all the time and is getting worse. Screen goes black every few seconds. More freezes and desktop icons sometimes garbled with Microsoft Outlook folders for example. I'm afriad I don't know how to lower the resolution or colour depth. Can you run me through it. Many thanks.

don't know what version of windows you are using as you failed to say ,but usually right click on the desktop,go properties .advanced or display setting or something like that or customize ,screen resolution go from there to lower it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.