ok i have 512MB of ram in my i have 3 of my DIMM modules in use, #1 and #2 have 128MB sticks in them, and in #3 i have a 256MB stick i read my manual for the computer and it says to not pair two different kinds of ram together or you wont get the maximum performance. so is it ok to have a 256 stick in module#3? or should i have a 128MB stick in module 3 and 4? OR can i get another 256 stick and put into #4? :eek:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

ok i have 512MB of ram in my i have 3 of my DIMM modules in use, #1 and #2 have 128MB sticks in them, and in #3 i have a 256MB stick i read my manual for the computer and it says to not pair two different kinds of ram together or you wont get the maximum performance. so is it ok to have a 256 stick in module#3? or should i have a 128MB stick in module 3 and 4? OR can i get another 256 stick and put into #4? !!:eek:

basically youre always governed by your slowest ram so your 128mb sticks are slower than your 256 stick so your not getting the maximum out of that stick. for example if you had three sticks of 256megs they would be running at the same speed as each other and you would get the maximum benifit out of the ram. i could be wrong but im sure thats how it works i read an article on it a long time ago and im positive thats how it is but someone might say otherwise

ok i have 512MB of ram in my i have 3 of my DIMM modules in use, #1 and #2 have 128MB sticks in them, and in #3 i have a 256MB stick i read my manual for the computer and it says to not pair two different kinds of ram together or you wont get the maximum performance. so is it ok to have a 256 stick in module#3? or should i have a 128MB stick in module 3 and 4? OR can i get another 256 stick and put into #4? :eek:

I think they mean speed and not size ,.Anyway I don't think it will hurt to use 2 ,128 and 1, 256.,I'm running 1,512 and 1 256 ,128 pin ,sdram,both are 133mhz.
my computer works almost Flawless.
My opinion!:)

ok i have 512MB of ram in my i have 3 of my DIMM modules in use, #1 and #2 have 128MB sticks in them, and in #3 i have a 256MB stick i read my manual for the computer and it says to not pair two different kinds of ram together or you wont get the maximum performance. so is it ok to have a 256 stick in module#3? or should i have a 128MB stick in module 3 and 4? OR can i get another 256 stick and put into #4?

What kind of motherboard (brand/model) do you have? Some quad-pumped RAM setups (AMD/nForce boards and the Intel so-called "533 MHz" and "800 MHz" chipsets, for example) require RAM in pairs for maximum performance, so you would need another 256 MB DIMM for 2 pairs in that setup.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.