Hi everyone,

How's it going?

I have to purchase a new HD that will allow me to upgrade with it in the future, potentially to a 64 bit system. I need to know the following:

1. Which is the best one to get?

2. Which one has the best disk copying software?

3. Can one manufacturers disk copying software be used on another manufacturers HD?

Thanks so much & have a great day!

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

• Which is the best one to get?
    Everyone has different opinions on this one. The top three are Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate. My preference is for Seagate. Seagate drives seem to be quieter than the other two IMO. Seagate also offers very good warrenty support on their drives.
  • 2. Which one has the best disk copying software?
    The disk that comes with Seagate drives (if you get the retail version that is) has software that will allow you to copy your old disk's data to the new disk. I have never used this on any system, so I don't know if it works properly all the time.

Since I don't buy drives by other manufacturers, I can't comment on the features that they offer.

• 3. Can one manufacturers disk copying software be used on another manufacturers HD?
    It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it.

In addition to chrissbliss' response, I'd suggest you go for a SATA hard drive(preferably SATA2) as SATA performance is much better than IDE. Also, SATA cables being smaller, there's more room for air flow and ventilation. SATA also has no jumpers that need to be set.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.