I think i have a ram problem. Everytime i shut down my computer, as it shuts down i get a message that says something like cannot read from vx000000x1 or some crap like that. So i think its ram, any solutions, shouldi just replace it? btw this is a 7 month old alienware. with a gig of ram (2 512s)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I think i have a ram problem. Everytime i shut down my computer, as it shuts down i get a message that says something like cannot read from vx000000x1 or some crap like that. So i think its ram, any solutions, shouldi just replace it? btw this is a 7 month old alienware. with a gig of ram (2 512s)

Since it's happening at shutdown, it's more likely a driver incompatibility. It's not unknown for a Windows update (for example) to cause a driver to start failing, or for updating one driver to cause another to fail.

Are you overclocking? That, too, can cause this sort of problem. So much is going on at shutdown that a timing error can occur, with this type of error message -- or if you are "pushing" your RAM timings, same thing. In those cases, I wouldn't worry about it.

Overall, it doesn't sound like a serious problem.

well im not overclocking so does that mean that somethins wrong with the ram?

well im not overclocking so does that mean that somethins wrong with the ram?

No, it means there's most likely a driver that needs updating, as I said before.

as it shuts down i get a message that says something like cannot read from vx000000x1 or some crap like that. (2 512s)

post the full crappy error message might help :)

No, it means there's most likely a driver that needs updating, as I said before.

I'm no frickin genious but this doesn't take one it has nothing to do with a driver. Your ram if fitted properly has no problem it is your primary hard disk just run system restore if that doesn't work replace the drive with a new one then boot from the secondary and do system restore again.

Dvs, it's not a good idea to dredge up long dead topics, especially when the information you're adding is wrong.

The error message mentioned is indicative of device driver problems, not of poor RAM or of a faulty drive.

Hey I'm new i didn't know how old the topic was and yes i was right if it was an internal device driver the system would not have booted properly and i know because i've encountered this problem with my voodo pc

No, driver issues can be resolved in 'Safe mode' ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.