Hi,
I recently bought and installed a new DVD writer but now my CD drive won't work. When I start up the computer and they go through something I think is called a memory test, there is this beeping noise and it says "ATAPI Incompatible" (I think ATAPI is the name of my CD drive). Then you have to press F1 to continue. When I go to My Computer it shows my new DVD writer but not the CD drive. It's weird because it used to work before I installed the new writer. I've tried searching for new hardware but it doesn't come up anywhere. This is annoying because I can't copy CDs! :( Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
J.kah

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If both drives are on the same data cable, one must be jumpered as 'master' and the other one as 'slave'. diagram on back of drive will show you where the jumper needs to be for master or slave. If they are both set the same, one of the drives will not be recognised.

Nah, I think he is mixing ATA and ATAPI on the same cable.

The new ATAPI drive should be the master preferably on IDE 1
and the old drive should be the slave on IDE 0 or IDE 1.

----Drive 0 is C: Drive
Go into BIOS also and set Drive 1 (the second drive on 1st channel) to AUTO
set Drive 2 (the first drive on 2d channel) to AUTO

make sure the new drive is set to MASTER
make sure the old drive is set to SLAVE

That should get it.
(final suggestion - remove the CD types in Hardware Devices, and make Windows rediscover the drives)

First of all I want to say I'm a girl Kegtapper. SHE! Well, yes, I do think I'm using the same cable but they are set differently. Kegtapper, the new drive is not ATAPI by the way but the new drive is the master and the old is set to slave. I've put them to Auto but it still doesn't work. I haven't tried removing it yet because I haven't had time but I will reply as soon as I do.

Thanks for your advice pip22 and Kegtapper!

Try going into the BIOS setup again and change the TYPE for both optical drives to 'CD-ROM' instead of AUTO (even if it's a CD/DVD writer, 'CD-ROM' will be okay because the BIOS doesn't need to know exactly what kind of optical drive it is, Windows takes care of that). I do know that the BIOS on any PC cannot AUTO-detect optical drives so you should not set the type to AUTO. If you do, at best it will increase the startup time while the BIOS tries to do the impossible, at worst it may be causing your problem. Just a thought -- hope I'm right.

Try going into the BIOS setup again and change the TYPE for both optical drives to 'CD-ROM' instead of AUTO (even if it's a CD/DVD writer, 'CD-ROM' will be okay because the BIOS doesn't need to know exactly what kind of optical drive it is, Windows takes care of that). I do know that the BIOS on any PC cannot AUTO-detect optical drives so you should not set the type to AUTO. If you do, at best it will increase the startup time while the BIOS tries to do the impossible, at worst it may be causing your problem. Just a thought -- hope I'm right.

My BIOS detects both my DVD and CDWriter and displays them on the bootup screen.

[?] - What kind of Bios do you have? I am using AWARD BIOS

My BIOS detects both my DVD and CDWriter and displays them on the bootup screen.

[?] - What kind of Bios do you have? I am using AWARD BIOS

My PC uses an AMI Bios. Like you, both my optical drives are identified correctly by make/model at the boot-up screen, but in the BIOS setup they are both set to 'DVD-ROM', not 'AUTO'.

The previous post didn't show for some reason, never mind, it's been covered.

ok, update:
i had both drives set on master and i was using the same cable. after fixing it, both works now. =D thanks to all that replied to my crys of help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.