I can not see the screen on this computer. I bought it used yesterday hoping to just turn it into a small home server this week but without it working I am no where. When powering I do NOT here any post beeps, and I even took out the ram and no beeps... does this mean bad speakers? What about my screen still? I tried resestting the bios with the 3 pins thing but that did not seem to work.

Plus my dvd drive did not work in it. I am sure it was just dying and I did not care much about that, but I am unsure if thats a sign.

I do not know models of anything, if you could also tell me where the model of the mobo is located usally (this is the turn of pata and sata it looks like, because of 2 sata ports and 3 ide cable slots on it).

So what should I try to do? Any help is greatly apreciated!! :)

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

.hi there!..do you see a green light in your MOBO?..maybe your PSU is not functioning well..try to check it!..if the issue still occurs then try to check the MOBO if it is working..i hope it helps!..^_^..

ThaT'S PSU PRBLEM,, BUY A NEW PSU OR BORROW FROM YOUR FRIEND TRY IT...

All the green light means is that the 5volt standby is working, it means nothing more than that. What you need to do is disconnect the PSU internally then short the green wire to any black in the main motherboard plug. You can do this with a bit of wire or an old paperclip. It should spin its internal fan, if it doesn't then it needs to be replaced.

All the green light means is that the 5volt standby is working, it means nothing more than that. What you need to do is disconnect the PSU internally then short the green wire to any black in the main motherboard plug. You can do this with a bit of wire or an old paperclip. It should spin its internal fan, if it doesn't then it needs to be replaced.

I tried this... shorting the green wire but the fan DOES spin. I do not see the green light on the mobo though. I forgot to mention that in the original post. I just was not sure if this did not have a light, but I have not seen one without I guess.

The model of this pc is RE467AA, I have had a hard time finding the mobo that is used though.

This comp first came out in January 2005, so I would not be susprised if the PSU is now dead, but I am not sure if there is another test for it to see.

Everything seems to run well though, all the fans spin normally, all the lights come on, and etc. I just do not here any post beeps or see a screen.

Thanks for help so far!

Do you have and know how to use a digital volt meter (DVM)?

Do you have and know how to use a digital volt meter (DVM)?

Yes

That article only talks about testing the 5 and 12 volt rails. You also need to test the 3.3 volt rail which will be one of the orange wires.

I tested everything.

Next thing is to inspect the motherboard for any domed or leaking capacitors, If you find any, they will need to be replaced.

I checked over the mobo and do not see any buldging or blown capacitors....

What next?

Thanks for your help so far!

Have a look to see if there is a small speaker or piezo buzzer either attached to or mounted on the motherboard. If you don't know what a piezo buzzer looks like, google it.

I thought there was but I do not see one.

In that case your computer will not produce any diagnostic beeps. Have a look on the motherboard for a 4 pin connector with spkr+ and spkr- printed close to it. It may be part of a larger connector for the front panel power switch and power light and the like. If you can locate this, it would be worth getting a pc system speaker from your local computer shop as it should be very cheap. A pc system speaker is a small speaker with 2 wires attached to a 4 way socket.

Never mind, I did not see it before but after taking a closer look there is one mounted onto the motherboard....

This probly makes he situation worse...

But ya that is why I did not notice it before, I was looking for it on the case or the wires leading from that area.

So... Now what?

Thanks!

Remove the ram from the motherboard. It should produce beeps. If it doesn't then you have narrowed the fault down to either motherboard or CPU! The only way to narrow it down further than that is to test the CPU on another motherboard or try another CPU unfortunately!

I did not here beeps when I tried it before, but if I hook up external speakers can they work? (if somehow the piezo speaker is blown or somthing?)

You would need to know where to hook up an external speaker as the beeps are not put out via the normal audio socket.

speaker like this one , hooks to 4 pins marked spk on the mothereboard at the front panel switch connects ,just follow the wire from the front switch back to the motherboard ,should be near the lower right of the mb'
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

Most motherboards that have piezo speakers mounted on them don't have speaker connections on the front panel header in my experience!

Rik, thanks for all of your help!

I found the problem, and I feel more stupid than ever....

I got around to it and went to remove the cpu, ... unlocked the cpu fan and out came the processor attached to the coolor....

Some how.. the cpu never locked in when I replaced the thermal paste.

So I took it out, checked for bent pins and reput it back in and bang... it works.

Even though it was my fault the whole time, thanks for all the help... especially with the psu trick /check.

Good news indeed! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.