Ok, so right now I have 1GB of OCZ 2x512 DDR2-SDRAM PC2-3200 but I want to upgrade to the max 2GB that my mobo can support. I want to go with 2x1GB Corsair, but I then I have to sell my current RAM.

So, my question is, would getting another 2x512 be better or worse then 2x1GB. If its worse, by how much?

Im using this machine for games like Battlefield 2 and Counter Strike Source.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

First of all...welcome to Dani Web.

There are those who contend that the 4x512MB modules will be faster than the 2x1GB modules, the other consideration is that the two 512MB modules would cost less than another 1GB module.

Why is that, because of double dual channel? Just wonderring. In the same sense, 2X512M may be faster than 1G.

First of all...welcome to Dani Web.

There are those who contend that the 4x512MB modules will be faster than the 2x1GB modules, the other consideration is that the two 512MB modules would cost less than another 1GB module.

Now that I think about it, gaming isnt even my biggest concern. The biggest problem I seem to face, even with 1g, is photo/video editing. Im also faced with having to sell my 2x512 if I go ahead and buy 2x1g sticks. Im leaning towards getting another 2x512 so that I dont need to try and sell my old ram.

so another question, I can mix and match companies correct? Aslong as I keep same company in slot0 and slot3, likewise for slot1/4?

btw: Thanks to those who replied.

for video editing you really want as much ram is physically possible, remember tho that second hand ram isn't worth much, if your mobo has 4 slots, and max 2gb.. then surely 4X512 in total is what you may aswell go for if you buy the same stuff.. aslong as the identical ram sticks are paired with each other, remember you can pair ram aslong as it's the same spec, by this i mean cas timings, number of memory modules on each stick, same frequency, both same check bits (ecc not on most ram) and same buffering (normally unbufferd)

for video editing you really want as much ram is physically possible, remember tho that second hand ram isn't worth much, if your mobo has 4 slots, and max 2gb.. then surely 4X512 in total is what you may aswell go for if you buy the same stuff.. aslong as the identical ram sticks are paired with each other, remember you can pair ram aslong as it's the same spec, by this i mean cas timings, number of memory modules on each stick, same frequency, both same check bits (ecc not on most ram) and same buffering (normally unbufferd)

So every aspect has to match up with my current ram?

or each pair has to match, so my current 2x512 obviously being ok, and then getting another 2x512 with both sticks being the same.

Read this, it should answer all of your questions regarding dual channel operation.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/11,16.html

Ok, thats helped me understand the whole pairing. But that doesnt answer my question with going into 4x512. It talks about pairs, the 2x512 I have now are paired correctly and work. Does the next 2x512 I get have to pair up with my current? Making 4 equally paired sticks.

Ok, thats helped me understand the whole pairing. But that doesnt answer my question with going into 4x512. It talks about pairs, the 2x512 I have now are paired correctly and work. Does the next 2x512 I get have to pair up with my current? Making 4 equally paired sticks.

Yes, you do need at least the same speed to work in dual channel mode. I imagine that the same CAS timings, etc, is a good idea. I'm pretty certain you don't have to have the same manufacturer, but it's a good idea to do so, since you're assured of having essentially the same chips.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.