Hi i just want to know the difference between different RAM types. for example pc800,pc2100 or whatever what does it mean? coz i have a pc with 2 64mb pc800 RAM, i dont know if SDRAM or something else. i like to upgrade as you can see 128 MB RAM is really low when running an XP o.s. what RAM can i use other than pc800? or pc800 is the only memory i can use.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

PC800 is RDRAM. You need to replace RDRAM in pairs on most systems, and all of it has to be the same speed.

Truth be told, PC800 RDRAM is UNGODLY expensive. Keeping in mind you are recommended to upgrade in pairs, I saw a guy spend over $400 to purchase 2x256MB sticks of RAM. YIKES!

If I were you, I'd consider upgrading the motherboard to something that doesn't use RDRAM, because the industry passed it up rather quickly, due to its high price, and the licensing of it.

Truth be told, PC800 RDRAM is UNGODLY expensive. Keeping in mind you are recommended to upgrade in pairs, I saw a guy spend over $400 to purchase 2x256MB sticks of RAM. YIKES!

well thanks a lot for the advice i think id rather upgrade rather than upgrade my RAM.. can you please advice me what motherboard to buy if i am going to use an intel processor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.