Hi there everyone.

One of my older computers which for some reason i use more then the other computers so i decide that i should fix it up.

Here is the specs of this computer right now (This is a oldie but it works fine)

Computer:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2
DirectX: 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium IIIE, 750 MHz (7.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name: Asus P3B-F (4 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 82440BX
System Memory: 1024 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Award Medallion (10/15/01)
Communication Port: Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
3D Accelerator: nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Monitor: HP F1703 [17" LCD] (CNCHW0Y803)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter: Creative SB Live! Player 1024 Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller: Intel(R) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller: SCSI/RAID Host Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller: VAX347S SCSI Controller
Floppy Drive: Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive: ST340015A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive: WDC WD600JB-00CRA1 (55 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive: DVDRW IDE1004 (DVD+RW:4x/4x, DVD-RW:4x/2x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status: OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS): 57231 MB (6113 MB free)
D: (NTFS): 38154 MB (19268 MB free)
Total Size: 93.1 GB (24.8 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse: PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter: Intel(R) PRO/100 S Desktop Adapter
Modem: U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now i was trying to keep all of my SDRAM because i dont want to spend any money on that when i have 1GB of ram in my hand. So i was trying to see what kinda motherboard or what should i actually get to make it more better?

Also i do have a P4 CPU chip that is 1.8 i was thinking of using it.
even something like this would make it better right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135013

Or should i leave it like it is and try this thing i found out
http://strattoncomputer.stores.yahoo.net/sl1adup.html
(and i dont really know to much about that thing)

Anyway if someone can help me out that would be great, thanx

Picture of Motherboard Looks like

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1019/motherboardbig7fs.jpg

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

First, don't mess with Slocket adapters. They don't work a lot of times.

The ECS board you showed would work just fine. But, I can tell you this-- SDRAM will severely throttle the capability of that processor. I remember running some of the first P4 systems that used PC133 RAM, and you may as well used a P3 still.

Your computer would be faster, yes, but I think you'll be surprised that it's not all that much faster. If you have another system that could use the SDRAM you've got, I suggest putting it in that system, and then moving to a platform that might allow you to use that Socket 478 system with DDR Ram, to fully utilize the speed that P4 can produce.

I agree - go grab a few stick of PC3200 DDR ram at newegg and run them at PC2100 or 2700 speeds with with the P4 1.8 and you'll have a much better machine.

Can anyone help me, Im trying to clean out my older cpu, all its physical parts are fine, but there are alot of corrupted files and missing files, and junk files. I want to delete everything from the computer and reinstall windows xp. How do you do that???

You would put the XP disk in the CD Rom drive- reboot and enter the bios upon boot then set your boot priority in the bios to CD rom as first boot and the HDD that you want to OS on as second, save, exit, then go with the prompts. here's a good guide on a clean OS install.

Additionally you might be able to just 'fix' or replace corrupted files with the system file checker instead of a reformat and here's a guide on that.

In your case, since you seem willing to do a reformat i would go with that option, especially if you think you might have some spyware-adware-virii-alot of OS errors in the system - by doing a reformat you would be able to fix anything bad in one fell swoop, unless you are willing and capable and patient enough to prune/fix your existing OS install.

Okay thanks alot

No problem, and if you have any questions about this/during please ask. Also - remember to change the boot order back to what it was once your operating system is installed (HDD 1st). Be sure to have your network card/modem driver already downloaded or on CD/Floppy ready so you can connect to the net for updates/downloads. I do hope your copy of XP has service pack 2 - if it doesn't i'll help you to secure the OS while you download it if you need the help. A bare copy of XP, or one with just SP1 is risky - remember to turn on your firewall.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.