I fried my mobo and possibly my processor on my desktop last winter. I am finally financially ready to replace both, and I am illiterate as far as shopping for compatible replacements go. What information do I need from my existing tower to ensure that it is compatible with my purchase? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Did you build your computer yourself or was it a store bought branded computer?

It was a store bought E-machines

I suppose you can use the hard drive, CD drive and the floppy drive. Other than that, since youre going for a brand new system, Id recommend new components like RAM, graphics etc. You could use the keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor off of your old system too.

Hey Buxtreme,
What type of system are you looking to put together gaming, basic office, web surfing, multimedia, etc? You maybe able to salvage the memory and video card off the system as well, it really depends on what type of system you want and your price range.

AJZ

How old is the old system? This would tell us if you need a new case as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.