I have a toshiba laptop and I've had this problem for a while and just stopped using it for a while because it got to be so annoying and impractacle to even use anymore.

The power cable used to work perfectly fine when you plugged and unplugged it, then all of a sudden one day when I put the cable in, I had to push the cable in tighter myself for any lights to come on or power to work (had a fun time trying to type like that!). The cord doesn't fall out completely, it just needs to be manually held in tighter. As time progressed, it became more and more difficult to hit just the right spot holding the cord for the lights and power to work. Now it's almost impossible to get the cord to stay in there very well for longer than a minute. I can't even keep it in there long enough to get the battery charged.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the cord itself or with the "port" thing that it goes in. The power and lights won't come on simply by pushing the end in, I actually have to push the flexible wire part, not the hard barrel shaped end, so it makes me think maybe wires are shorting out or something inside the cord. However! The port that the cord goes in is definitely loose a little. It wiggles around when you move the cord. There shouldn't have been anything wrong with the cord because, like I said, it worked one day and not the next. Then again, the laptop wasn't dropped or anything. I don't know, what's your take on it?
Oh, and if I'm lucky and get the cord to stay in alright and use it for a bit, sometimes the computer shuts off by itself. I'm assuming it's related to the above problem, but I figured it needed to be said.

Oh, and if I'm lucky and get the cord to stay in alright and use it for a bit, sometimes the computer shuts off by itself. I'm assuming it's related to the above problem, but I figured it needed to be said.

Also! Is there an alternate power source I could use instead of that cable? Wishful thinking, probably not possible, but it's worth a try.

Its possible that while pushing the cord initially, you have broken the soldering holding the port in place. Try the cord on another similar computer to eliminate that as a point of failure. Also, take your computer to an authorised Toshiba Service Center to get the issue fixed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.